Advanced Practice Provider - PA or NP
Rutgers University Medical Group - RWJMS Neurology
New Brunswick, NJ
Full Time Day
The Advanced Practice Provider, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant, is responsible for performing duties independently following established and standardized procedures and methods referring questionable situations to physician. The NP provides general as well as stroke neurological consults as well as admissions to the stroke service through assessment, diagnosis, clinical judgment and management to restore, maintain and improve the health status of patients. In addition, the NP/PA is responsible for reporting identified safety issues such as hazardous environments (i.e. damaged floors/walls/ceiling tiles/unsecured areas) and medical errors.
- Administers intravenous thrombolytics as well as intravenous IV medications.
- Assists physician by recording patient progress notes, issues diagnostic orders, and transcribes orders.
- Performs procedures such as lumbar puncture (initially under direct supervision and once qualified independently)
- Assists with various counseling and education functions.
- Billing for patient services based on CMS and NJ State Board Regulations.
- Demonstrates satisfactory knowledge and judgment to provide appropriate care for patients.
- Develops plan of care for patients in coordination with multidisciplinary team and completes appropriate reports to physicians and family.
- Documents and maintains patient records of services provided according to facility and nursing standards.
- Establishes a collaborative relationship with other medical providers including neurology residents and fellows.
- Examines patients to determine presence of illness, utilizing physical findings, laboratory results, medical history, ascertains nature and extent of illness and prescribes treatments as indicated.
- Interviews, instructs and advises patients regarding health and illness prevention. Instructs patient and family regarding medications and treatment instructions.
- Issues prescriptions to patients based on Federal & State Regulations.
- Orders and reviews appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures. Reviews all lab data and documents.
- Participates in the development of protocols.
- Performs and obtains a completed medical history and physical data on patients with appropriate documentation and findings.
- Performs independent evaluations and treatment procedures in emergency situations.
- Provides monitoring and continuity of care between physician visits.
- Responsible for coordinating nursing and training programs on compliant for policies such as HIPPA, OSHA, Code of Conduct.
- Responsible for maintaining the quality and adequacy of nursing practice.
- Reviews and audits charts routinely.
- Works in collaboration with a physician to diagnose conditions as necessary.
- Master’s degree in Nursing required.
- Registered Professional Nurse with current NJ state license; CDS and DEA.
- Physician Assistant Certification,
- Registration & Licensure by the New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners/ Physician Assistant Advisory
- CPR certification.
- NP Certification.
- NIH stroke scale certification.
- Three to five years of work experience as a professional nurse.
To apply, please submit your resume through Indeed.
About Rutgers University Medical Group
As one of the nation's leading comprehensive medical schools, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in education, research, health care delivery, and the promotion of community health. In cooperation with Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, the medical school's principal affiliate, they comprise New Jersey's premier academic medical center. In addition, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School has 34 other hospital affiliates and ambulatory care sites throughout the region.
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School encompasses 20 basic science and clinical departments, and hosts centers and institutes including The Cardiovascular Institute, the Child Health Institute of New Jersey, the Institute for Neurological Therapeutics, and the Women's Health Institute. The medical school maintains educational programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels for more than 1,500 students on its campuses in New Brunswick and Piscataway, and provides continuing education courses for health care professionals and community education programs.
RWJBarnabas Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person