As a Human Resources Assistant I you will be responsible for providing support to the Business Support Management Team. Your primary duties will include: staffing the Human Resources front desk and being the first point of contact; communicating and responding to Human Resource inquiries from employees and various outside entities both in person and over the phone; maintaining calendars; scheduling meetings and conference rooms; ordering supplies; assisting the Recruitment Team with proctoring exams; and assisting on special projects (such as Wellness Programs and Employee Appreciation Day). Your secondary duties will include: maintaining Human Resources confidential files; purchasing items with a credit card or through requisition via Oracle; assisting with invoice processing; assisting with data entry functions; disseminating information; and distributing documents to staff.
You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your customer service skills, professionalism, attention to detail, and ability to operate in confidential environments.
1. Learns and assists with the day-to-day operation within the assigned area of responsibility. May respond to human resources inquiries for assigned area of responsibility from employees and outside entities.
2. Learns and assists with preparing and reviewing a variety of correspondence, documents, files, and/or records for accuracy and completeness; ensures proper signing authority; and distributes documents to appropriate staff.
3. Learns and assists with gathering, compiling, and/or reviewing data from multiple sources for preparing correspondence, logs, reports, and other related documents. May maintain a database.
4. Learns and assists with data entry function; maintains inputs, corrects, and updates data; verifies data for accuracy and completeness.
5. Learns and assists in the requisition of materials and supplies as required; recommends the purchase of office equipment and furniture; and prepares, files, and records purchase orders.
6. May be a corporate credit card holder. Performs corporate credit card purchases, reconciliations, and creates reports.
7. Learns and assists in maintaining calendars, scheduling meetings, with making travel arrangements, and may prepare expense reports.
8. May attend and participate in a variety of meetings; prepares agendas; disseminates information to staff. May assist with special projects and assignments as needed.
9. May assist with record retention, asset tracking and salvage duties.
9/80, Alternate Fridays Off (A typical schedule is 7:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. or 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.)
Education and Experience:
Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field; or High School Diploma or a High School Equivalency Certificate and two years of relative administrative support experience.
Relevant administrative support is defined as administrative support within a corporate HR environment.
Required Knowledge of:
Principles of data collection; principles and procedures of data entry and record keeping; English usage, spelling, and grammar and punctuation.
Required Skills and Abilities to:
Perform a variety of routine administrative support duties within an assigned area; research, collect, and compile data supporting information requests from Metropolitan staff and/or the general public; respond to requests and inquiries from the general public; maintain comprehensive records, files, logs, listings and related data; assist in preparing and reviewing a variety of documents and correspondence for accuracy and completeness; understand and follow verbal and written instructions; communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing; operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications; establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with all levels within the organization, other agencies, regulatory agencies, special interest groups and the public.
Valid California Class C Driver License that allows you to drive in the course of your employment is required at time of application.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT/VISION REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items such as paper, books, or small parts; driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting and training rooms, libraries, and residences or commercial vehicles, e.g., use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations and traffic signals, etc. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
No special vision requirements.
This classification performs work that requires maintaining confidentiality and is routinely privy to matters that either involves confidential information, sensitive personnel issues, or exposure to confidential and sensitive strategic corporate information.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent medical, dental, life, vision and retirement plans, including pension plan and 401k (with matching contribution), tuition reimbursement, and more
- Training and advancement opportunities
- On-site fitness center
- Excellent working environment
- Hub of public transportation: rail, subway, buses, and taxis
- Public transportation reimbursements and van pools
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link: http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_Careers/benefits.pdf
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process, please call (213) 217-7738 or email email@example.com.
MWD is a Federal and State EO employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories