Full Job Description
The primary purpose of the Senior Research Assistant position is to provide technical and analytical skills required to initiate, run and complete translational research projects. A successful candidate must have the knowledge and ability to perform in vitro research studies and, as this position will be primarily focused on in vivo studies/experiments, he/she must also have experience working with in vivo models. Specifically, the successful candidate will be able to perform animal surgeries, dosing, specimen collection, imaging, pharmacologic, pharmacokinetic and efficacy studies utilizing in vivo models. In addition, the candidate will be expected to work closely with other researchers within the laboratory, as well as with teams across departments. The candidate will also ensure strict adherence to the policies and procedures of the institution.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Technical Lab Duties
1. Performs technical laboratory duties as required to conduct research projects.
2. Receives direction on the planning, organizing, and coordinating of scientific research projects, especially those involving in vivo studies.
3. Daily mice work - performs survival and non-survival animal procedures for specimen collection and characterization and utilizes non-invasive imaging.
4. Compiles, writes, and submits reports to superior when requested.
5. Participates in accurately recording data in laboratory notebooks or databases as appropriate to each research project.
6. Participates in departmental laboratory discussions, meetings and seminars.
7. Competence in the use of sterile technique and the use of Universal Precautions when handling potentially biohazardous clinical samples.
8. Adheres to required IACUC and EHS guidelines for animal and laboratory safety and protocols and maintains all required certifications with respect to proper laboratory techniques, the use of laboratory equipment, and safety procedures.
9. Familiarity with appropriate literature in the field and willingness to learn and contribute ideas that might improve techniques.
8. Operates laboratory apparatus and equipment as needed to conduct research projects.
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. Assist with the maintenance and inventory of cell lines stored in liquid nitrogen tanks as needed.
2. Maintain records/inventory of mice for in vivo projects.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Education Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Experience Required: Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 136564
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Day/Evening, Days, Evenings
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 39,200
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 49,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 58,800
Science Jobs: Yes