Job Title: ASSISTANT KITCHEN MANAGER
Department: Back of House or BOH (we call it Heart of House or HOH internally)
Supervisors: General Manager, Kitchen Manager, Director of Food Experience, and Director of HOH Operations & Safety
Licensing Required: Food Handler
Job Description: As second in command in the kitchen, AKM is responsible for the supervision of the hourly kitchen team members, serving as Kitchen Manager on Duty (KMOD) in the absence of Kitchen Manager. Fills cooking positions as needed for the efficient running of the kitchen. As KMOD, oversees the time management for all hourly kitchen team members, including in-times, breaks, and out-times. Take part in line-checks in order to ensure kitchen’s readiness for daily business and manage clean-up responsibilities, to ensure the proper closing of the kitchen at night. Primary position during rushes is to serve as lead expeditor. Always guiding and mentoring hourly team members in the performance of their duties. The AKM has primary responsibility for the day-to-day maintenance of Kitchen personnel files (with the guidance of the Kitchen Manager).
Job Purpose: To ensure back of house operates successfully, resulting in excellent guest experience. Work with Kitchen Manager, developing oneself for readiness to become Kitchen manager as opportunities present themselves
- Maintain personnel files for all hourly kitchen team members; each team member must have a file that has copies of all official paperwork, write-ups, status changes, licenses, permits, etc. The file must also contain recipe certification records for each team member that are current to within one week.
- AKM must be certified in all stations (if the AKM is hired directly from outside Flix, certifications must be completed within 90 days)
- Ensure high levels of food quality, presentation and cost control.
- Responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Back of House.
- Ensure on-hand inventory reflects par levels set by Kitchen Manager.
- Expedite the line during peak periods and/or work in a dynamic capacity along with expeditor to maintain low ticket times and ensure properly prepared menu items are produced by the kitchen at all times.
- Follow recipe and/or product specifications for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, slicing, storing and serving food in the establishment.
- Supervise and ensure recipe adherence and/or product specifications for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, slicing, storing and serving food in the establishment by all team members during your shifts.
- Safely operate a variety of kitchen equipment (i.e. choppers, mixing machine, slicers, steamers, grills, et al).
- Control food waste, loss and usage per Flix Brewhouse policies and procedures. Work with Kitchen Manager to set plans and actions to correct any issues in cost.
- Assist Kitchen Manager to maintain a standard of sanitation and cleanliness of kitchen utensils, equipment and Back of House (BOH) areas.
- Set par lists daily and verify lists are completed to in order to prepare theaters for success.
- Prepare food to order with respect to guest specifications. Assist Kitchen Manager to prepare, produce and serve food for banquet functions.
- Assist in verifying food is stored correctly and rotated in accordance with local health code specifications and Flix Brewhouse guidelines/needs.
- Assist Kitchen Manager in the development of performance reviews and actively participate in the actual review along with KM (90 days and annual).
- Ensure restaurant food quality by completing thorough line-checks and tasting/testing food on a shift-by-shift basis.
- Assist Kitchen Manager in ongoing training of all BOH team members with respect to food and production.
- Assist Kitchen Manager in the hiring, development and coaching of BOH team members to reduce turnover (compensation levels, advancement, and discipline need to be determined by KM with consent of the GM). AKM needs to conduct one of the first two interviews for all prospective kitchen hires.
- Responsible for placing all food orders in accordance with pars set by Kitchen Manager and Director of Food Experience.
- Assist Kitchen Manager in conducting weekly inventory of all food and paper items in the Back of House.
- Act as Kitchen Manager whenever KM is not present in the building, but always maintain a leadership role guiding and correcting proper procedures.
- Commit to maintaining 100% availability of all Flix Brewhouse menu items prepared according to standard recipes.
- Able to act with initiative, plans for the future and possible consequences.
- Proactive in getting things done and exceeds expectations of both guests and co-workers.
- Sets a good example of the company dress code and appearance standards ensuring that your team fully complies with these.
- Extensive understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation, and food handling procedures.
- Previous supervisor experience and professional communication skills required.
- Available to work any shift and all holidays.
- Ability to take direction and work in a team environment.
- Ability to coach and develop talent and mentor Line Cooks.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Computer skills/literacy that will facilitate participation in required computer-based aspects of kitchen management.
- Must have problem solving abilities and be self-motivated, organized, and able to multi-task.
- Have a commitment to quality service, and food knowledge.
- Serve Safe certified- needs to be current in terms of the Serve Safe certification; within 6 months or less of becoming an AKM, the candidate must attain manager level certification within the Serve Safe system.
- Has a thorough knowledge of and adherence to the law with regard to:
- Licensing and Labor Laws
- Health and Safety Regulations
- Food Handling and Hygiene Laws
- Fire Regulations and Procedures
- First Aid Procedures * NOTE: All members of the management team need always to conduct themselves in a manner which is beyond reproach. This includes adherence to all policies regarding fraternization, tardiness, food consumption and personal breaks.
- Ability to speak and hear.
- Close and distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 35 lbs. and occasionally lift/move 50 lbs.
- Exposure to heat/cold from the mechanical equipment.
- Moderate to loud noise level.
- Wide Spectrum Flix Brewhouse is designed to deliver a superlative experience for adults and families in the broadest segments of American life. However, we are not all things to all people.
- Guest Service Philosophy We make every reasonable effort to make the guests we serve happy. Although guests are not always right, they are always our guests.
- Surprise and Delight We create emotional connections by going “above and beyond” and turn guests into fans by finding ways to do unexpected things for them.
- Cinematic Leadership We generally exhibit first-run wide release motion pictures. We celebrate the cinematic experience and work to protect it by providing a safe and approachable movie-going environment for adults and families. We will always be on the forward curve of cinema technology.
- Good Food We offer high-quality food that is all-American, responsibly sourced, nutritionally diverse, affordably priced and accessible to the markets we serve.
- Craft Beer We are missionaries working to save the world from bad beer! At the world’s only first-run craft brewery cinema, beer is a unique brand differentiator. We are an active participant in the craft beer movement and support and collaborate with other craft brewers.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation commensurate with experience. This is an hourly role, however, we anticipate our AKMs to earn between $40k and $50k annually.
- Generous company 401k match.
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage (medical, dental, vision) through Humana.
- PTO Bank (vacation, sick, and personal time rolled into one).
- Discounts and freebies at Flix Brewhouse locations.
Job Type: Full-time
- Kitchen Supervisory or Management: 2 years