The City of Chandler is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the position of HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST I - BENEFITS. This full-time position is a non-exempt, benefited position. This position will be assigned to work within the area of Benefits Administration in the department.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to perform administrative support in one or more functional areas of the Human Resources.
Essential Functions (list not exhaustive):
Benefits Duties include the following:
- Responds to and resolves complex and sensitive inquiries regarding Personnel Rules and HR Policies; follows-up to ensure that the issue has been appropriately addressed;
- Interprets and explains appropriate personnel rules, policies, and other regulations to employees and the general public; analyzes issues, determines solutions, and makes recommendations to change processes or procedures; assists in responding to problems and issues;
- Serves as administrative support for a various committees and Boards and Commissions; coordinates meetings, prepares agendas, assembles materials, takes and transcribe minutes; follows up on committee assignments;
- Drafts, formats, and prepares a variety of documents, including custom reports, financial records, charts, graphs, contracts and manuals;
- Creates, updates, and maintains databases;
- Designs, formats and write contents to update the division or department's Intranet and/or department website;
- Creates and distributes educational and informational brochures, pamphlets, and flyers;
- Plans, coordinates, and promotes programs and events for employees; identifies locations and dates, arranges and confirms speakers and instructors; ensures facility, materials, and supplies are prepared; may be required to attend events as requested;
- May support HR Analysts in preparing job bulletins, advertisements, scheduling interviews, compiling new hire paperwork, preparing applicant correspondence, mail outs, filing and maintains recruitment files; Records job openings on the job information hotline, and may schedule and/or participate on interview panels and job fairs as required;
- Answers inquiries concerning internal & external recruitment processes;
- Schedules and coordinates employee attendance at training classes; ensures facility, materials and training supplies are scheduled and prepared for each class;
- Establishes and maintains complex filing systems; scans and indexes records into electronic document management systems; responsible for record retention and destruction for the department;
- May order, stock, and distribute office supplies, uniforms, and equipment; reports replacement needs; establish minimum/maximum stock levels and monitor stock levels based on usage;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures;
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
- Assists the Benefits Program Supervisor with project planning as it relates to programs and services in the following areas; wellness and benefits administration;
- Processes, researches and provides information to Benefits Supervisor on benefits and wellness related programs;
- Assists with the administration of the City's retirement programs (ASRS and PSRS) to include deferred compensation, retirement heath savings accounts, prepares COBRA notices and tracks payments; responds to questions and issues arising from COBRA administration;
- Schedules and conducts exit interviews for employees leaving the city to answer questions, resolve issues and concerns, and clarify final payments;
- Answers questions and provides information to employees and retirees in person by telephone, and in writing, in accordance with established departmental policies and regulations regarding the financial impact of the requirements and provisions of retirement benefit programs;
- Reconciles retirement salary and service credit issues, resolves any conflicts with both internal and external agents;
- Calculates pension, disability, and survivor costs with associated pension funds;
- Participates in Requests for Proposals as they relate to the City's benefits program;
- Participates in the City's Wellness Committee and serves as Wellness Advocate; assists the Benefits Analyst in administering the City's wellness program and initiatives;
- Assists with maintaining required tracking mechanisms for compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Assists with orientations and one-on-one information sessions with employees; conducts new employee orientation for benefits related information including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and other benefits programs;
- Assists with annual benefits open enrollment period and benefits fair as well as other employee discount programs;
- High school diploma or GED equivalency; and
- Three (3) years' progressively responsible experience providing complex administrative support to a division or department; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Additional experience in Human Resources in benefits administration in a municipality.
In order to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees, the City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
This position is a regular full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation.