At Shields, we pride ourselves on our culture of inclusion and kindness and the difference we make in patients' lives every day. We are tremendously proud to be certified as a 'Great Place to Work' two years in a row. In 2022, we were awarded US Fortune Best Workplaces in Health Care™, Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials™ & Fortune Best Workplaces for Women™.
Improving lives and elevating performance are at the heart of everything we do. That's why more health system leaders trust Shields to elevate access, outcomes and growth within specialty pharmacy — delivering value throughout the entire health system. Leveraging our proven Shields Performance Platform – we deliver the financial results that health systems demand and the superior outcomes patients deserve. With the foremost leaders in specialty pharmacy on our team; proven success partnering with more than 70 health systems; and a vested interest in delivering measurable results – we are the partner health systems trust to transform their specialty pharmacy into a powerful growth engine and elevate performance where it matters most.
The Patient Engagement Specialist will be responsible for providing service for inbound pharmacy phone calls and/or placing outbound patient refill calls and assisting the patient through the entire refill process. This role will be responsible for some or all of the below types of activities: responding to patient requests and inquiries regarding prescription drug plan coverage and fulfillment through the pharmacy; inbound calls to support the health systems needs in patient; status checks on prescriptions; assists pharmacies to properly adjudicate electronic prescription drug claims and resolve adjudication error messages; responsible for providing knowledgeable and courteous customer assistance and response to members, providers, and pharmacy team member inquiries; serves as a point of contact between patients, pharmacy, liaisons, clinical providers, and various internal functional areas.
- Proactively coordinate medication refills including data entry and pharmacy claim adjudication
- Make outbound patient refill phone calls and complete the patient refill request.
- Answer, resolve and triage inbound inquiries.
- Clarify prescription orders with pharmacist and/or clinician as appropriate.
- Identify medications requiring special storage and/or handling such as hazardous medications and/or refrigerated medication.
- Manage, organize, and update relevant data using database applications.
- Apply observations and recommendations to operational issues, increased productivity, quality, and customer-service standards.
- Identify trends, resolves problems; recommend improvements; implement change.
- Actively participate in process improvement initiatives.
- Act as a value-added business partner to stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Protect organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Update knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining networks; participating in professional organizations
- Flexible scheduling to meet business needs with health system partners starting as early as 5:00 AM (PST) / 8am EST
- Other duties and/or responsibilities may apply
Skills: Strong interpersonal communication skills, exceptional phone skills, comfortable with proactively engaging patients telephonically, comfortable reaching out to on-site clinicians, payors, and pharmacies telephonically, highly proficient in Microsoft Office particularly Excel and Word; able to quickly learn other programs, adapt to Shields' unique model / tools and able to extract relevant information; strong organizational skills a must
Traits: Organized, high-integrity, high accountability, attention to detail, dependable, quality focus, empathetic, good listener/communicator, collaborative, consistently arrives to work on-time with minimal unscheduled time off
Other: Energetic, highly motivated, team player with strong personal and communication skills, ability to sit and/or stand with focus at a workstation for a long period of time; discretion and confidentiality essential as position deals with highly sensitive and private data
Education and Requirements:
Required Licensure/Certification: We are seeking experienced pharmacy technicians who are state registered as a pharmacy technician. Nationally certified as a CPhT or equivalent is strongly preferred but not required. Should additional licensure need to be obtained, the applicant will commit to obtaining the required licensure within a mutually agreed upon timeframe. Continued employment is contingent upon meeting these requirements.
Years of Experience: Required 1+ years as a Pharmacy Technician
Education: High school diploma or GED required
Shields Health Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.