Push Boat Captain - Louisiana and Texas
(Reports to Operations Manager / Port Captain)
Purpose & Nature of the job
- Commands tugboat to tow barges, and/or estuaries, straits, and sounds, Gulf of Mexico and International Waters.
(Is required to hold license issued by U.S. Coast Guard)
(Disclaimer, all licensures are subject to vessel and manning requirements)
1. MMC, Merchant Marine Credentials
2. 200 Ton USCG License, Master of Tow
3. Previous Push Boat experience REQUIRED
4. STCW 2010 PREFERRED
5. Radar Endorsement
Description of Essential Functions
- Commands workers on deck to rig towlines to barges to be towed.
- Determines course towing speed on basis of specialized knowledge of local winds, weather, tides and current.
- Steers tugboat to push or pull barges to destination and to berth and unberth ships, avoiding reefs, outlying shoals, and other hazards to shipping.
- Computes position, sets course, and determines speed, using charts, area plotting sheets, navigation devices, like radar, sonic depth finder, compass and sextant & aids to navigation, like lighthouses buoys.
- Inspects vessel to ensure safety of crew and passengers, efficient and safe operation of vessel and equipment, and conformance to regulations.
- Maintains records of daily activities, movements, and ports-of-call, and prepares progress and personnel reports, and JSEA documentation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of SMS & HSSEQ maritime practices
- Computer, organizational and communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure & manage crew members
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Performance and results driven.
- Excellent decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Able to work individually and as part of a team
- Ability to work after hours and on weekends as necessary.
* Must have valid TWIC and U.S. Passport.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and details simultaneously.
- Travel time is required for in-harbor, offshore, and other SMC divisional ports.
- Close living quarters aboard the vessel alongside and underway for long periods of time.
- This job operates both in a professional office environment when needed and primarily on vessels.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand or walk, sit, reach, bend and move about the facility.
- Moderate to high physical effort required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $525.00 /day
- Push Boat: 5 years (Preferred)
- MMC with 200 Ton, Master of Tow (Required)
- STCW 2010 (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction