Full Job Description
United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10846397
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
04/05/2022 - 04/18/2022
475 LENFANT PLZ SW
WASHINGTON, DC 20260-0004
TITLE: ATTORNEY (Labor)
GRADE: U - 01
FLSA DESIGNATION: Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 0905-4034
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: SAT/SUN
HOURS: 8:00AM -5:00PM SALARY RANGE: 96,430.00 - 176,980.00 USD Annually
FINANCE NUMBER: 102656
BENEFIT INFORMATION: The salary will be based on previous experience, salary history, and current postal pay policies.
We offer excellent benefits including health and life insurance, retirement plan, savings/investment plan with employer
contribution, flexible spending, flextime scheduling of core work hours, annual and sick leave.
Persons Eligible to Apply
**Reimbursement of relocation expenses will NOT be authorized**
**This position requires a MBI clearance. This process can take up to 6 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned**
This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position you are
You will receive two email confirmations:
1. An email confirming your profile is complete.
2. After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
For information, please contact Keniska Velazquez at Talent@usps.gov
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
The Law Department is seeking to fill a labor law attorney position in the Employment and Labor Law Section at
Headquarters. Attorneys in the Labor Law group have a diverse practice, including litigation, collective bargaining, and
general advice matters.
The successful candidate will represent the Postal Service in national-level postal arbitrations and occasional district court
litigation, while also representing the Postal Service in collective bargaining with its unions. Attorneys in the Labor Law group
also provide advice and representation concerning a broad array of labor and employment statutes, regulations, policies, and
Come work in an energetic, lively, and collegial atmosphere on a wide range of complex, fast-paced, challenging matters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Conducts legal research and prepares written material for use in representing the Postal Service and advising postal
2. Participates in conferences necessary to representing or advising Postal Service officials.
3. Directly advises postal management officials or represents the Postal Service in legal matters involving outside parties.
4. Prepares replies to inquiries from Congress, government agencies, and the public.
5. Prepares opinions, memoranda, decisions, regulations, testimonies, or formal filings in proceedings in which the Postal
Service is a party.
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to prepare pretrial briefs, motions, pleadings, responses and other documents to present the issues independently
with little or no direct supervision.
2. Ability to provide legal advice and services with respect to regulations, practices, or other legal matters, and formulate
opinions involving the analysis and interpretation of federal, state and local laws.
3. Ability to litigate cases before administrative bodies and federal courts.
4. Ability to communicate orally and in writing to include the ability to negotiate with third parties on behalf of clients and
prepare legal documents and presentations.
5. Ability to conduct legal research to gather and interpret information and ensure accuracy of details; using resources such
as internal and external documents, archives, electronic databases, and interviews.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: To be eligible for the Attorney position, you must possess a Juris Doctor from an
American Bar Association accredited law school.
7. SPECIAL CONDITION: Qualified applicants must be a current member in good standing of a state, territory of the United
States, District of Columbia or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Bar Association.
8. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT: At least 3 years of experience in legal practice, of which one year of the experience
requirement may be met through the completion of a judicial clerkship if completed by the time of hire. The clerkship must be
documented in the applicant's resume.
Special Conditions: A RESUME, COVER LETTER, WRITING SAMPLE AND RECENT TRANSCRIPT ARE REQUIRED.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.