Who We Are:
HBC is a diversified global retailer, focused on driving the performance of high quality stores and their all-channel offerings, growing through acquisitions, and unlocking the value of real estate holdings.
Founded in 1670, HBC is the oldest company in North America. Our portfolio today includes formats ranging from luxury to premium department stores to off price fashion shopping destinations, with more than 480 stores and over 66,000 employees around the world.
Our leading banners across North America and Europe include Hudson’s Bay, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Saks OFF 5TH, Galeria Kaufhof, the largest department store group in Germany, and Belgium’s only department store group Galeria INNO.
We have significant investments in real estate joint ventures. HBC has partnered with Simon Property Group Inc. in the HBC Global Properties Joint Venture, which owns properties in the United States and Germany. In Canada, HBC has partnered with RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust in the RioCan-HBC Joint Venture.
A truly global corporate citizen, HBC is committed to responsible business practices to bring about positive change, and we work hard to shape a sustainable future for people and the planet. Our philanthropic initiatives help create healthy families, strong communities, and sport excellence in the cities and countries in which we operate around the world, while striving to create innovative programs and resources that provide flexibility for work-life balance in order to maintain a positive working environment.
What This Position Is All About:
This director role will report to the Vice President, Strategy and will play an integral part in the development and implementation of high priority strategic initiatives. He/she must have strong business acumen and be able to lead and influence individuals and teams, while driving results through teamwork and collaboration.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a top tier strategy consulting firm and/or a corporate strategy role, and will possess strong experience in either the fashion, consumer, and/or retail industry. He/she will need to be passionate about retail. The candidate will have a strong strategic orientation, excellent communication skills, superior analytical skills, and will be comfortable innovating and inspiring. He/she will also need to be a strong collaborator and influencer with all levels of the organization, including executives. This is a high visibility role and requires a motivated individual with a sense of ownership and demonstrated high performance in previous roles.
Who You Are:
As the Director, Strategy, You Will:
- Experienced in strategy, with the ability to build strategic plans that drive business results
- Knowledgeable in the consumer and/or retail sectors
- Highly analytical and data driven; able to analyze data and develop actionable insights
- A structured thinker with strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Able to build strong relationships with, collaborate with, and influence internal and external business partners
- A strong communicator, both orally and in writing
- Adept at navigating and mobilizing resources in a highly matrixed organization
- Able to drive creative problem solving and quality decision-making in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- An agile leader with a positive, can-do attitude, driven and determined to achieve goals
- Highly organized and able to adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Excellent Microsoft Powerpoint and Excel skills
- 5+ years of experience; experience at strategy consulting firm or in corporate strategy role
- Experience in retail and/or consumer sector preferred
- Bachelor's degree from top tier undergraduate institution; MBA from top tier graduate institution preferred
Your Life and Career at HBC:
- Support Strategy team leaders and the Executive team at HBC in developing strategic initiatives to support the evolution of the business, drive results and reach our customer.
- Act as a strategic thought partner for business unit teams; identify strategic opportunities, help to shape strategic plans, and drive the strategic planning process.
- Assist the Strategy team leaders, the HBC Executive team and business units in executing upon strategic initiatives, and measuring performance to support future decision making; Support development of implementation plans, build KPIs/dashboards, and assist in rollout.
- Assist in managing third party consultants/providers and/or provide “PMO” support for initiatives as required.
- Conduct advanced analytics to support data driven decision making and development of best practices for the organization.
- Collaborate with cross-functional and external partners to provide relevant and actionable customer, competitor, and market level insights to the business units.
- Assist in development of materials for key executive level meetings, including Executive Committee meetings and quarterly Board of Directors meetings.
- Develop strong cross-functional partnerships and relationships to support key strategic initiatives as needed.
- Manage a direct report.
- Support with ad hoc activities as required.
- Be part of a world-class team; work with an adventurous spirit; think and act like an owner-operator
- Exposure to rewarding career advancement opportunities, from retail to supply chain, to digital or corporate
- A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work/life balance
- Benefits package for all eligible full-time employees (including medical, vision and dental)
- An amazing employee discount
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.