The Department of Physician Assistant Studies within the Health Sciences Division of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences is recruiting a team member to support the educational programs within the department, primarily the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medicine (PBPM) program.
Primary responsibilities include recruitment and support of students in the application and admissions process, overseeing of classroom logistics, coordinating the teaching schedule of professors and instructors, maintaining the program’s supplies and technical equipment, and promotional activities including participating in website updates and contributions to the department newsletter.
The Program Associate will work closely with the Program Director, while also assuming duties that require critical thinking and independent judgement. While the Program Associate will primarily provide support for the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medicine Program, responsibilities will also include admissions activities for the Physician Assistant (PA) Program. The position is primarily based at the Virginia Science and Technology campus, although some time at the Foggy Bottom campus may be required. On occasion, evening or weekend hours may be required for special activities including interview days.
- Works closely with Post-baccalaureate Program Director to coordinate all activities of the one-year program.
- Works with the faculty in coordinating the instructional materials, presentations and student assessments, use of blackboard and scheduling of classrooms
- Coordinates program events including graduation and orientation
- Coordinates monthly staff meeting, arranging webex, keeping minutes, and preparing agendas
- Ensures program website is up-to-date including making routine changes to the site and coordinating more extensive changes with the communications team; may be involved in social media activities related to the program
- Coordinates activities related to program alumni
- Performs research and data collection to incorporate information in administrative databases, technical documents, reports and correspondences.
- Communicates with matriculating students regarding enrollment, orientation, program and university policies, and student-services
- Assists the Program Director in developing and maintaining a student communication plan.
- Advises students on registration, enrollment-related policies, and procedures as necessary
- Addresses student questions and grievances and involve program director when needed
- Represents the post-baccalaureate program within the department of PA Studies and the division of Health Sciences
- Participates as a member of a workgroup in preparing an annual department newsletter
- Coordinates all promotion and recruitment activities for the post-baccalaureate program
- Coordinates all admissions activities for the post-baccalaureate program including working with applicants in the admissions process, reviewing all applications to determine candidate eligibility, coordinating review of applications by faculty, organizing all interview activities
- Provides support to the physician assistant program including reviewing applications to determine candidate eligibility during peak application session; provide coverage for PA program admissions staff during periods of leave; may be requested to provide assistance on interview days on the Foggy Bottom campus
- Represents the program, department and division at pre-health professions student events
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Administrative experience preferred
- Previous experience with a college or university-based system desirable
- Proficiency with Excel and Word with the ability to learn new computer applications quickly
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to work with minimal direction
- Ability to show initiative and problem-solve
- Excellent communication with the ability to work effectively with teams
- Superior customer service, professional demeanor and excellent interpersonal skills
Typical Hiring Range $47,500 - $60,200 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. JOB DETAILS
School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS)
Family Academic Affairs
Sub-Family Program Administration
Stream Individual Contributor
Level Level 1
Hours Per Week:
Monday-Friday, some evenings and weekends as needed
Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work.
Required Background Check:
Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status
Internal Applicants Only? No
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until:
Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.