- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- 8+ years overall Systems Administration and Engineering experience
- 5+ years experience with a UNIX/Linux operating system
- 5+ years software development experience
- Experience with network components (Load Balancers, firewall, etc.)
Amazon is building some of the largest distributed systems in the world, and we need smart people. As a member of Amazon's Enterprise Engineering team, you can help build the foundation for Amazon services.
We provide Amazon builders with secure and transparent foundational services anywhere they need them. We are seeking a passionate and motivated engineer to participate on a team of Linux Systems Engineers and Developers.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we “Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History.” On a “typical” day, systems engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical team working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
As a Systems Development Engineer you will:
- Have end to end ownership of major engineering projects within the Corporate Infrastructure space
- Build and rollout systems to multiple global regions
- Create processes that can be leveraged to help drive efficiencies and quality
- Work closely with our internal customers to help alleviate their problems and meet their demands
- Work on new designs/solutions, bringing them from concept to in life operations
- Create and update our infrastructure and security standards and ensure that the systems adheres these standards
- Review and implement changes on the systems utilizing thorough test plans
- Work closely with our automation teams to assist in defining the tools we require
- Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our system quality and reliability
- Work with a wide range of technologies
- Work on a variety of hardware platforms across multiple vendors
Our ideal candidate is highly autonomous, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, strong project management and time management skills and has a successful track record of delivering large-scale engineering projects. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
This is an amazing opportunity in terms of responsibility, interesting challenges and high visibility. We truly are looking for the highest quality candidates, so you should expect a rigorous technical interview process.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
- Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
- Exposure to massive-scaled distributed systems
- Previous experience with the following in a LINUX environment (LDAP, NTP and DHCP)
- Understanding of Load Balancers, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, SSL/TLS certificate management, DNS, and Routing
- Hands on AWS experience with production workloads.
- Deep understanding of object oriented principles and experience with Python, Ruby, Bash, and Perl and willing to expand
- Excellent documentation skills
- Passion for operational excellence
- Experience with delivering end to end solutions, while insisting on the highest standards
- Strong design and coding skills
- Excellent communication skills (Ability to communicate design and concepts to non-technical)
- Strong grasp of fundamental algorithms
- Experience in a 24x7 production environment
- Experience with modern software development practices (agile, scrum, kanban).
- Experience with mission critical systems
- Ability to track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale
- Experience in a DevOps team, supporting CI/CD workloads.
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency
- Excellent IP fundamentals
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Highly organized and able to coordinate with other team members
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age