HMS Host, operator of Chaya Sushi & Japanese Cuisine at LAX international airport is looking for enthusiastic Chefs – Sushi Chefs. Chaya has been in business for 390 years in Japan and over 40 years in Los Angeles, offering amazing sushi and Japanese cuisine.
This position offers exceptional benefits with a competitive wage and room to grow.
Health & Dental Coverage paid by employer, Pension, Meal Break Allowance
Must be able to pass a background check for airport badging.
Ideal candidates will have above and beyond culinary skills, knowledge of Japanese cuisine, dependability, be team oriented and possess a passion for amazing food service. Sushi experience is a plus but not required.
The Cook is responsible for preparing food, and must be able to perform all functions of the sushi station; communicating ticket times and potential problems to the manager on duty and servers as necessary; providing the highest quality of service to customers and associates at all times; performing all other responsibilities as directed by the business or as assigned by management. This is a non-exempt position and typically reports to Store Manager, Assistant Store Manager, or General Manager depending upon local requirements. Essential Functions:
- Follows recipes and/or product directions for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, carving and serving food items which may include soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other food and beverage products
- Tastes products, follow menus, estimate food requirements, check production and keep records in order to accurately plan production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment as needed
- Cleans and sanitizes work stations and equipment
- Practices excellent food safety and sanitation practices and complies with HACCP standards
- Operates a variety of kitchen equipment; Measures and mixes ingredients, washes, peels, cuts and shreds fruits and vegetables
- Stocks, dates, rotates, and checks temperature of product
- Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment:
- Requires food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Requires a minimum of 1 year of closely related cooking experience, work experience in high volume or fast casual dining restaurant environment preferred
- Requires food knowledge pertaining to Soups, Sauté, Broiler, Fry, and Pantry
- Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents, as well as converse comfortably with customers
- Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
- Requires the ability to bend, twist, and stand to perform normal job functions
- Frequently immerses hands in water and water diluted with chemical solutions
- Frequently works with sharp knives, utensils, and hot plates
- Frequently works in hot environment
- Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) Drug Free Workplace (DFW) Requirements:
Schedule: Full time
Job Level: Hourly
Expertise: Food/Beverage Services
Job Type: Standard
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- Sushi Chef: 2 years
- cooking: 2 years