Kagome is actively seeking an Entry Level Food Scientist to join their team in Los Banos, California today!
Since 1899, we've been crafting healthy, delicious sauces, spreads, juices and more. You can depend on us and our expertise. Food is our passion. Let's make something together that surprises and delights.
Develop and formulate new products, packaging, and processes under the guidance of the Lead Food Scientist as required to support Sales and Operations. Provide technical support, resources, and services in a timely and efficient manner to all external customers and internal departments within Kagome. This is the mid-level scientist position with some scale up experience. The employee carries out an expanding range of professional food scientist assignments in a developing capacity. The employee demonstrates increasing job knowledge and efficient use of time as well as developing leadership skills and a proactive attitude in approaching technical solutions. Contributes to generating ideas and procedures that benefit our company, customers, & society, and promote Kagome’s reputation and integrity. Support Kagome’s business goals, programs and procedures that achieve company goals and directives. Support the review, understanding and compliance of all programs, policies and procedures contained in the Food Safety and Quality Management System. Understand that I am responsible for reporting food safety issues observed so appropriate action can be taken. Actively participate and support the 5S and MES initiatives.
Salary: $48,869.83 - $79,712.69 /yr
- 65% Product Development
- Formulate and develop, under guidance, from benchtop to production scale, new products and product improvements.
- Display competence over a sustained period as evidenced by specific technical accomplishments.
- Assist with new ingredient sourcing, evaluation, costing, qualification and specification.
- Meet new product criteria in terms of cost and margin.
- Preparation of samples for customers.
- Continuous Improvement & formulation changes, as required.
- 25% Commercialization of New & Reformulated Products
- Coordinate plant trials and product commercialization at all facilities as well as Co- Packers.
- Cost estimates throughout process & assist with cost reduction of existing products.
- Shelf life assessments for both product and ingredients.
- Development and maintenance of Manufacturing Standard Procedure.
- Development and maintenance of Ingredient, Nutritional and Packaging Specifications.
- Submission of thermal process documents to internal and external regulatory groups.
- Collaborate with internal teams to the commercialize products and communicate information effectively to all involved groups.
- 5% External and Internal Relationships
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers’ R&D & QA groups.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal QA groups.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Marketing and Sales groups.
- Develop and maintain relationship with Culinary Team.
- Visit customers on an as needed basis, with sales support.
- Provide technical support to customers regarding Kagome products.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage project work and multi-task high priority projects, with supervision
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively in a team
- 5% Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance to associate food scientists, laboratory technicians, pilot plant, and operations personnel
- Keep abreast of new industry technologies
- Other duties as assigned by Management
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- A valid driver’s license will be required.
- 1+ years of experience in R&D specifically in Product Development.
- Culinary experience is an added benefit.
- Internal Contacts: All Kagome departments, domestic and global
- External Contacts: Customers, Regulatory officers, Material Suppliers, Vendors
- Demonstrate ability to communicate well and to effectively influence and interact with others to accomplish research goals.
- Must have proficient technical and business writing skills as well as professional communication skills, both written and oral.
- Analytical, Chemical and microbiological knowledge and experience in formulation, laboratory, sensory analysis techniques/methods.
- Organize job responsibilities to complete work on a timely basis.
- Computer Skill using various software used for product development.
- Travel Requirements: Must be able to travel within the US & internationally to visit customer sites and Kagome facilities.
- Physical Demands: Sitting at a computer terminal, standing, and walking for long periods of time. May need to lift 25lbs.
- Working in both an office environment and food technology lab with moderate noise levels.
- May be exposed to some food related chemicals.
- In plant will be exposed to food processing environment with changes in temperatures, damp conditions.
- Some lifting and prolonged standing required.
- This is a Safety Sensitive position.
- Laboratory analytical equipment.
- Kitchen and pilot plant equipment.
- Personal computer (specific experience with Excel, Word & PowerPoint) General office equipment; fax, copier, phone etc...).
Indeed Hire and Kagome are working together to find the best candidate for this job. By applying, you agree to be contacted by our agent, Indeed Hire, and receive updates via text and phone about your application.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,869.83 - $79,712.69 per year
- Culinary: 1 year (Preferred)
- formulation, laboratory, sensory analysis techniques/methods: 1 year (Required)
- R&D specifically in Product Development: 1 year (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Los Banos, CA: Between 31 and 40 miles (Preferred)