Sigma is a global food company that is dedicated to the production, distribution and sales of refrigerated and frozen products such as cold meats, dry meats, cheese, yogurt, prepared meals and beverages. We have a strong diversified portfolio of well-positioned brands that market in the countries where we participate. We operate in 69 production plants, serving more than 590,000 customers in North, Central, South America, the Caribbean and Europe.
Working for Sigma is like working for a family-owned business, we believe in taking care of our associates so they will be dedicated to producing high quality products. You are not just applying for a job, this is the start to a new career whether your path takes you to the corporate headquarters or within the food production and distribution side of the business.
Oversee and direct the food safety and quality assurance programs and systems at all Co-Pack facilities throughout the distribution network.
Essential Job Functions
- Direct and manage Co-pack products to meet Sigma specifications and quality.
- Direct and manage co-pack QA technicians; work in collaboration with food technologists and R&D team.
- Ensure all Sigma Standard Technical Instructions are current at all Co-pack facilities.
- Ensure standardized tests on co-packed items meet standards and regulations regarding factors including but not limited to, labeling compliance, product quality and consistency such as Chemical (Salt, Moisture, Protein, Fat), Sensory evaluation (Color, Texture) in each Co-pack plant and Microbiology such as Total Plate Count (TPC), Yeast, Mold, and Pathogens including Listeria, Salmonella, E.coli and other bacteria that are applicable to products.
- Create and maintain all related quality, food safety and product specifications to ensure compliance with FSIS (Food Safety and Inspection Service) and FDA (Food and Drug Administration) regulations; conduct internal audit to ensure co-packer meets and passes audit and standard quality procedures before they start producing Sigma products
- Ensure investigations are resolved timely and within guidelines; communicate consumer complaints; confirm Co-pack vendor identifies root cause and provides corrective action to operations team.
- Ensure co-pack vendors adhere to standards and third party service level agreements
- Identify and set-up new Co-pack vendors in quality and food safety programs.
- Create reports which identify and track various types of trends among Co-packers.
- Ensure product Quality and Food Safety through compliance with quality inspections for all Co-packer products leaving plants and facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Animal Science or related degree
- 5 years of progressive product quality and food safety experience
- 5 years of leadership experience managing a team
- Certified in HACCP, SQF, and/or BRC
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Proven knowledge of HACCP, SQF, USDA and FDA regulations including labeling and nutritional facts
- Proven ability to lead and develop teams
- Demonstrated ability to communicate across all levels of the organization, present complex ideas concisely and clearly articulate ideas verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to build professional relationships with Co-pack vendors
- Experience computing and having working knowledge of formulation, Chemical composition of meat products, percentages of ingredients or other product factors, using mathematical and chemical procedures and comply with USDA regulation
- Intermediate skills of Microsoft Office, including , Outlook, Power Point, Word and Excel
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills with attention to details
- Ability to handle multiple and competing priorities while maintaining a professional environment.
- Master’s degree in Food or Animal Science
- SAP experience
Usual office environment with frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing. Frequent use of eye, hand, and finger coordination enabling the use of office machinery. Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication through automated devices such as the telephone.
- Able to travel up to 60% of the time, including overnight stays for up to 5 days at a time.
Come join our team of professionals! Sigma provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Sigma complies with applicable federal, state and locals laws, including fair employment practices and equal employment opportunity when conducting recruiting and hiring, governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Job Type: Full-time
- progressive product quality & food safety: 5 years (Required)
- leadership & team management: 5 years (Required)
- HACCP, SQF, &/or BRC (Required)