Official City Job Description:
- Work schedule for this position is Friday - Monday 6 am - 4:30 pm and will be responsible for supervising a crew of (3) HVAC technicians located in the correctional center, courts buildings, public safety buildings, and the juvenile detention center on weekdays and will also be responsible for supervising (3) HVAC technicians who provide HVAC services to all City facilities during weekend work hours.
- Perform daily building checks both physically and through a building automation system computer of all HVAC equipment located within the assigned zone.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, repair and replace: pumps, air handling units, VAV units, fan coil units, boilers, VFD's, roof top units, gas furnaces, heat exchangers, exhaust fans, make up air units, VRF systems, ductless split systems, piping, valves, air separators, duct work, registers, diffusers, kitchen refrigeration equipment, galley cooking equipment, pneumatic systems, air compressors.
- Will replace compressors, air filters, belts, bearings, contactors, relays, fuses, building automation components.
- Review plans and specifications for renovations and provide comments and recommendations.
- The selected candidate will work closely with and provide excellent communication with the VA Beach sheriffs office maintenance deputies, City of VA. Beach employees , and citizens.
- Provide life cycle analysis of HVAC equipment and estimated costs.
- Conduct performance appraisals on HVAC technicians
- Schedule and monitor work of contractors
- Attend pre-bid and pre-construction meetings
- Order and maintain a repair parts inventory to ensure there is minimal downtime on HVAC equipment
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Building Systems Engineer.
Requires high school or GED plus five (5) years experience, one (1) in a supervisory capacity, in fields related to heating and air conditioning which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, and associated with such positions as Heating and Cooling Plant Operator, Heating/ Air Conditioning/ Refrigeration Mechanic, or HVAC Maintenance Supervisor.
Journeyman HVAC license required.
Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina drivers license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV drivers license eligibility requirements.
Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime when required to meet operational needs.
This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to mandatory drug testing. Positive drug test results may result in counseling and/or discipline, up to and including, termination. Positions within this class have been designated as Alpha I positions requiring employees to work during inclement weather, regardless of the City's operational status.
Successful completion of a pre-employment physical.
May require a Commercial drivers license.
Master HVAC license,
building automation experience
Experience with demonstrated skill in silver brazing
Experience working in large commercial facilities
Experience repairing and replacing large air handling units
Experience repairing and replacing large centrifugal pumps
Experience and demonstrated ability to follow and interpret mechanical and electrical plans, drawings and specifications
Experience with project estimating
Experience with variable frequency drives
This requisition has been reopened to extend the pool of qualified candidates. Candidates who have applied to this requisition do not need to reapply; your application may still be under consideration.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POSITION WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE AND PASS A BACKGROUND SCREENING GIVEN AT THE CORRECTIONAL CENTER PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT. *
This job posting has been reopened to extend the pool of qualified candidates. If you have applied, you do not need to reapply; your application may still be under consideration.
Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser's printing capability.
Your responses to any "Supplemental Questions", if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified you will not receive credit.
Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
If selected for this position you may be required to submit official transcripts from all accredited colleges or universities listed on your application.
Forward your *OFFICIAL transcripts from your accredited colleges or universities to:
Department of Human Resources
2424 Courthouse Drive
Municipal Center, Building 18
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Current City of Virginia Beach employees who have their official transcripts from their accredited college or university in their personnel file will not have to provide another transcript to the Department of Human Resources.
- All higher education institutions must be accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education.
All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.