Works at an advanced professional level in the overall planning, development and implementation of citywide aquatic programs. Responsible for the operation and programming of the pools at Fort Monroe, Hampton Aquatic Center, and Old Hampton Community Center, and the beaches at Buckroe, Fort Monroe, and Grandview. Makes use of current resources, develops partnerships and creates opportunities for the community to take advantage of the assets we have in the city, region and state to offer a wide range of aquatic programs.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Leads and/or works within a team of employees in planning, coordinating, creating, developing, and implementing a variety of aquatic activities to include featured programming such as aquatic classes and exercise, sailing, kayaking, camping, summer specialty camps and special events that take advantage of our natural resources. Coordinates activities with other recreation teams and related agencies. Evaluates programs and special events through feedback from team members, surveys, and program participants.
- Establishes policies and procedures related to special events, aquatic programs and serves as liaison and resource to community organizations. Solicits monetary and in-kind sponsorships and develops a partnership with businesses and other agencies to further fund and support programs. Performs a variety of administrative work to include program evaluations, programming budgets, and related financial records.
- Recruits, hires, trains and evaluates seasonal and program staff to operate the swimming pools at Fort Monroe, Hampton Aquatic Center, and Old Hampton Community Center, to staff with lifeguards the beach at Buckroe and to administer all other aquatic programs and events offered by the department.
- Manages records and statistical data relative to program activities. Ensures that accurate records of programs are maintained to include participants, spectators, admission fees, contracts, vendor fees, sponsorships, and expenditures. Develops statistical and evaluation tools and determines measurement success indicators.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Recreation, Leisure Services, Outdoor Education or related field; extensive experience in swimming pool operations, development of aquatic classes and programs and thorough knowledge of recreation programming. A combination of education at a college level and minimum of 5 years work experience at a coordinator's level or greater will be considered. Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills; proven leadership experience and ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Requires proficiency in the use of personal computers, inter-net research and data base management. Must possess current certifications as an Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) or Certified Pool Operation (CPO). Must possess current American Red Cross certification in Lifeguarding, CPR/AED for Lifeguards or for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Water Safety Instructor and Lifeguard Instructor at a minimum. Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license and have and maintain a satisfactory driving record according to the City of Hampton's criteria. Must successfully pass testing for controlled substances and a criminal history background check.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION Performs duties under the general supervision of a Superintendent of Parks & Recreation. This position is a unique combination of work that requires certification and working knowledge of Aquatic Facility operation and Beach Front Management along with the ability to create and develop special event programming. It also involves extended work hours, some weekends, nights, and holidays. Extensive contact with related agencies, sponsors, city departments, and the public. Requires patience, tact, and the ability to understand and address the needs of client populations. Requires excellent leadership skills and problem solving ability. This is an exempt position.