The Literacy Support Teacher will work together with lead Special and General Education Teachers to create a warm and welcoming school culture that is driven by student achievement. Mastery is looking for urban educators who are committed to outrageously high expectations and high support for students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with lead Special Education (SpEd) and General Education (GE) teachers to implement Mastery’s literacy curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency;
- Work closely with lead SpEd and GE teachers to analyze student assessment data and use data to inform instruction;
- Ability to provide small group instruction/interventions;
- Ability to maintain sensitive, confidential information;
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Participate in on-going professional development in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Education and Experience:
- The ability to motivate and challenge students and maintain a highly orderly classroom environment
- Receptiveness to feedback and a desire to continuously improve
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- A belief that all students should be held to high standards
- A positive attitude and a drive for personal excellence
- Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s preferred in Education or related field
- Previous classroom teaching experience required
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms; Standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speak loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away, stooping, kneeling, fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board or projector; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 20 schools serving over 13,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.