Kids in the Game is dedicated to developing New York City’s youth by providing opportunities through sports and fitness to the schools and communities we serve. Our goal is to develop the next generation of leaders by developing healthy habits, an active lifestyle, and promoting personal growth through play and competition.
During the school year, KING is rooted in dozens of schools around New York City, offering recess, after-school, physical education, early drop off fitness, and sports instruction. In addition, KING operates summer camps, sports clinics (basketball, soccer, volleyball), and special events. During the summer months we trade our whistles for sunglasses and run five day camps across NYC.
Kids in the Game is looking for a Sports Specialist of good health with the ability to provide fun and age-appropriate instruction that will work closely with the Camp Director and Assistant Directors staff to make the 2018 summer the best one ever. Potential candidates must possess leadership skills, be responsible, dependable and a team player. A sports specialist is responsible for the overall operation of the Sports Program including activity planning, implementation and safety management. Most importantly you will be providing a supportive, safe, and fun environment for the youth of New York City to grow and learn while experiencing the non-stop fun of Summer Camp!
Responsibilities and Duties
The Sports Specialist is responsible for fostering an atmosphere of fun and learning and serve as a role model to youth while providing fun and age-appropriate instruction.
- Commitment to at least 3 days of training leading up to the first week of c& Dates TBD but likely Saturdays before camp begins
Keep a Watchful Eye:
- Inform Camp Director of camper/staff problems which impact on the health or safety of any KING camper. No issue or concern is too small to share!
Teamwork Makes the Dream Work:
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations, emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
Plan, Plan, Plan:
- Work to reduce conflict among campers, create a team-friendly environment with positivity.
- Foster an atmosphere of fun and learning and serves as a role model to youth.
- Ensure that campers acquire a sincere appreciation of sports, achieving an increased sense of self-esteem, cognitive skills and motor skills.
Play (almost) All Day:
- Demonstrate organizational skills: lesson planning, timelines, meet deadlines, following schedules and set goals.
- Ensure that programs reflect the development of each camper, the goals of Kids in the Game and meet the New York State Standards for Health, Physical Education and Family and Consumer Sciences.
Fun, Fun, Fun:
- Plan and execute the activities in coordination with the program staff and supervisors
- Arrange and maintain sports area, equipment, and set up and cleanup operations of the sports area on a daily basis.
*** Loose Ball Rule:
- Attend staff outings to take a break and enjoy time with coworkers outside of camp
Team player; performs other duties as assigned
Our Core Coaching Values:
We are Committed:
Engage in all camp activities with the campers. Plan and lead small and large group activities for campers during scheduled group times, transitions, or other down times. Get to know the kids, learn their names, be their role model. Commit to the summer – all 8 weeks!
We are Present:
Be attentive to the physical, social and emotional needs of the campers assigned to your group. Checking your phone can wait, making camp great for kiddos can’t.
We are Positive:
Maintain an enthusiastic attitude and serve as a role model. Promote positive and appropriate behavior through speech and action on a daily basis.
We are Prepared:
Dress appropriately, arrive on time, stay until the end of your shift, attend all appropriate staff meetings, and pre camp training/staff orientation to ensure quality standards are upheld. During counselor choice, be prepared with games and lesson plans.
We are Ambassadors:
It’s simple, live these core KING values every day and you will be our best ambassador. Be proud of your amazing work with today’s youth and know that this work truly matters.
Qualifications and Skills
Amazing with kids!
DOE or DOH fingerprinted is a plus
Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
Pass a NY State run background check
CPR, First Aid and AED certified is a plus
2+ years of experience working with campers required; experience leading recreation programs/activities; experience leading groups of varying sizes
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, participants, parents and caregivers Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with participants, families and caregivers, both verbally and non-verbally
Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations. Ability to interpret and understand instructions, both written and oral
Camp Dates :
June 25th – August 17th; 8-week commitment; no camp on July 4th. We do have 6 week openings too at all camps.
Camp Hours :
7:30am to 4:30pm (aftercare runs to 6pm; rotation each week)
- Upper West Side: School of the Blessed Sacrament
- Inwood- Good Shepard School
- Riverdale- St. Margaret’s of Cortona
- Park Slope- St. Saviour High School
- Upper East Side: St. Stephen’s
Based on experience