CDM Smith is looking for a full time Senior Geotechnical Engineer with strong background and experience in either the area of tunneling and underground design and construction, or the area of dams and levees. The successful candidate will have worked on large civil engineering projects, have significant experience in contributing to sales and in providing technical leadership within the geotechnical practice on the west coast.
As a member of our Infrastructure and Programs Group you would contribute to CDM Smith's mission by:
- Actively participating and assisting in new business development by contributing to strategic planning and marketing.
- Leveraging good communications skills to work with public, private and federal clients.
- Serving as a senior geotechnical engineering lead or task manager on projects involving tunneling and underground construction, or dams and levees and/or other high level complex large civil engineering projects.
- Coordinating and reviewing the work of a staff of engineers (typically 5 to 10).
- Overseeing the planning and execution of complex subsurface investigations including field and laboratory services for a wide range of project types.
- Performing geotechnical engineering and soil-structure analyses and evaluations for seismic analysis, earthwork, dewatering, excavation support, shallow/deep foundations, pipelines, dams/reservoirs/levees, solid waste, tunneling/micro-tunneling/pipe jacking, and transportation projects.
- Writing engineering reports including Geotechnical Data and Geotechnical Baseline Reports and preparing plans and specifications for large civil engineering works.
- Overseeing engineering services during construction on projects involving deep foundations, support of excavations, pipelines, and tunnels.
- Preparing scope, schedules and budgets for proposals.
- Managing projects, subcontractors, and geotechnical and structural staff on multi-disciplined projects and working within a multi-disciplined team environment.
- Acting as a mentor for mid-level to entry level employees.
- 15+ years of professional experience since Bachelor’s degree. Master's degree in Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering emphasis highly preferred.
- License as a Professional Engineer (PE) required with California GE preferred in addition.
- Experience in all types of subsurface explorations, laboratory testing, foundation engineering, analysis, engineering report writing, and preparation of contract documents.
- Experience with tunnel design and construction, seismic design, dam and levee design and construction is a plus.
- Experience in, construction management, risk management and design- build and alternative delivery projects is a plus.
- Experience with project management is a plus.