Food Service Director
NJY Camps, one of the largest Jewish overnight camp systems in North America, celebrating its 100th year of operations is seeking a seasonal Food Service Director. This role requires the individual to live on site in Milford, PA with room and board provided. Our full summer season operates from May 1 until September 11.
About NJY Camps:
NJY Camps is the largest Jewish camp in the nation, comprised of seven camps that serve the entire Jewish community including children with disabilities and senior adults. NJY Camps continually seeks to help each camper develop new skills, greater self-confidence, a strong Jewish identity, and commitment to their heritage that will help shape the course of their lives. For 100 years, campers have left camp as better human beings and with an enhanced Jewish identity and commitment.
The Food Service Director (FSD) is responsible for supervising food service preparation in two kitchens, inventory management, ordering all food and supplies based on established menu, maintaining equipment, and training and supervising all food service staff. The FSD is also responsible for ensuring that all procedures and menus are followed, working with programming staff on food for trips, and ensuring that the camp kitchens are sanitary and well maintained. Familiarity with kosher operation helpful. Safeserve certification required. Onsite living accommodations required and provided on site in Milford, PA from May 1 through early September. (There is flexibility in start and end dates for the right candidates especially in May and end of summer).
Meal Management and Ordering:
- Ensures that we have the right product per menu, in the right quantity, in the right location/kitchen/storeroom, achieved via production sheets and inventory management.
- Monitors inventory and par sheets for main items.
- Manages ordering of food through established group purchasing consortium.
- Manages opening and closing procedures for dining rooms and kitchens.
- Supervises onboarding and orientation of all food service staff at each intake’s arrival.
- Provides continuous and ongoing training with all food service staff.
- Supervises direct reports, including chefs and dining room managers.
- Manages days off and roles for chefs, dining room managers and all food service personnel.
- Ensures that food service personnel have proper equipment and that the food service equipment is in working order, and reports malfunctioning equipment to Director of Operations.
Special Events / Pack Outs:
- Ensures that all food that leaves the kitchens (trips and in-camp activities) are in order and on time.
- Reviews all special events camp directors to plan procedures for each event.
- Manages food orders for camp cooking electives ingredient needs.
- Manages daily meal provisions for Teen Camp at a satellite service facility.
- Ensures that sanitation norms are implemented and followed.
- Creates cleaning schedules for all areas of kitchens and dining rooms and ensures that cleanup protocols and duties are followed through on.
- Ensures that kitchen procedures of hygiene and health code requirements are maintained.
- Works closely with allergies, special requests and gluten free provisions.
- Follows the rules and regulations of NJY Camps as outlined in the Personnel Practices Manual and ensures that staff comply with organization’s rules and regulations. Communicates any issues to the appropriate camp director.
- Works closely with Specialty Food Liaisons and Directors to ensure the strictest of controls working with allergy and special requests.
- Strong catering or food service management experience, supervising large teams of staff operating out of a commercial kitchen setting.
- Strong organizational skills and competency in food inventorying and ordering practices.
- Familiarity with hygiene and sanitation best practices. Safeserve certification required.
- Familiarity with kosher food practices (preferred).
- Experience supervising and mentoring employees in a food service setting.
- Demonstrated problem solving and crisis management skills.
- A positive can-do attitude.
- Strong Team player and collaborator.
- Must be able to remain on their feet regularly throughout the day and be able to physically lift 50lbs.
- Very appealing and competitive weekly rate salary offered.
- All room and board provided for full duration of contract. (May 1 – Sept 11).
- Opportunity for family to live on site, including children receiving summer camp with all expenses covered, and potential summer job opportunity for a spouse if desired.
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic and fun environment and mentor young professionals from all over the world.
The organization is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We strongly encourage applications from all well-qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, gender identity, religion or religious belief, disability, age, nationality, national or ethnic origin, pregnancy, sexual and reproductive health decisions, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, caregiver status, military service eligibility, veteran status, or status in any other category in this regard protected by law.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Full Time Opportunity:
- Flexible schedule
- Relocation assistance
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma