Sr. Administrative Assistant
Under basic supervision, performs a wide variety of administrative, customer service, and technical support functions of a highly responsible nature in relieving a Director of technical, organizational, and administrative duties; performs special assignments and resolves operational issues, using knowledge of the operations and policies of City and the Equipment Services department.
- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- Oversees Department's administrative workflow; organizes and coordinates work to relieve the Director and staff of routine administrative details; exercises initiative and independent judgment in performing administrative duties; applies judgment to resolving problems, analyzing data, and making decisions; tracks operational and administrative issues, and assures the effective communication of operational information.
- Assists Fleet Asset Manager with daily functions and handles duties in their absence. Responsible for Fuel management as needed.
- Performs administrative and technical support functions for the Equipment Services department, requiring understanding of local government operations, and City services; maintains information confidentiality, and performs duties with discretion and within scope of authority; duties may vary according to job assignment and work skills.
- Manages special projects and programmatic assignments, requiring knowledge of operations, policies, and procedures of the City and the Equipment Services department.
- Maintains and updates a variety of computer databases and files; enters, edits, and retrieves data, and prepares reports; reviews and processes invoices and requisitions.
- Processes a variety of administrative forms, maintains and updates City records and information tracking systems; prepares correspondence, reports, accounting records, and administrative documents. Responsible for office petty cash.
- Maintains personnel and payroll files; researches files and computer databases; responsible for light accounting duties such as creating requisitions and purchase orders, invoice payments and credit card reconciliations; assures all administrative actions are in compliance with City policy, procedures, and guidelines.
- Purchases and distributes supplies, and manages inventory; works with vendors, verifies deliveries and services, and resolves customer service and technical issues.
- Provides informed and confidential technical assistance to customers and others having business with the City; assists customers with requests, applications, and other documents; retrieves and releases information according to City procedures; explains City rules, policies, and procedures.
- Arranges and schedules appointments and meetings; assists with the annual budget process. Responsible for making department's travel arrangements.
- Screens visitors and phone callers; resolves issues and complaints as appropriate.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Odessa and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; AND three years' experience as an Administrative Assistant. Associate's Degree and experience with City of Odessa is preferred.
- Policies, rules, and regulations covering specific areas of the Equipment Service Department (ESD).
- City administration policies, including accounting, budgeting, payroll, purchasing, and personnel rules.
- Operations, services, and activities performed by ESD.
- Methods, procedures, and standards for public sector accounting, record keeping, file maintenance, and records management.
- Methods and techniques of researching and compiling data for reports and presentations.
- Customer service principles, protocols, and methods.
- Business computers and standard MS Office software applications.
License and certification requirements:
- Understanding, and applying relevant rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, and other governing regulations.
- Interpreting and explaining policies and procedures of the Equipment Services department.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Researching and compiling data for reports and technical documents.
- Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
- Entering data with high levels of accuracy and productivity.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
A valid Texas State Driver's License is required.
Physical demands and working environment:
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Typing test with a minimum score of 40 wpm with 7 or less errors.
It the applicants responsibility to complete the skills test at the Texas Workforce Office, 2626 JBS Parkway, 432-367-3332 by the closing date of 5/7/2018.