- Clean Driving Record
- Driver's License
Location: 13013 Northwest Freeway Houston, TX 77040
Job Type: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Appraiser I - Multiple Openings
The Appraiser I will be responsible for all aspects of the appraisal process. The Appraiser will perform a combination of field appraisals on assigned properties during certain months of the year using one’s own vehicle and work in an office environment conducting informal meetings and formal property protest hearings in the remaining months. The Appraiser will explain assessed values and defend property appeals with property owners of Harris County. This position may be located in either the Commercial, Residential or Business Industrial Property Division.
Education and Experience
1. A four year degree from an accredited university or college; major in Real Estate, Accounting or Finance preferred. Minimum of one year of responsible real estate/appraisal experience preferred. In certain circumstances the college degree requirement may be waived for an individual with:
a. An RPA and current active registration with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
b. A residential or general appraiser license currently active with the Texas Appraiser Licensing and Certification Board.
c. Five or more years of applicable experience within the last ten years of the date of application.
d. For applicants who are currently employed by the Harris County Appraisal District, two(2) or more years of experience at the appraisal district and 60 hours of college credit.
e. An honorable discharge from a branch of the US Armed Services. Depending on the veteran's experience, in certain circumstances, the experience requirement may also be waived.
2. Experience/exposure to the formal and informal hearing process a plus.
3. Maintain current knowledge of new and revised tax laws and property tax code.
4. Ability to learn and operate PC/Laptop on HCAD's CAMA software for research and retrieval of records.
5. Ability to accurately classify property by characteristics and to record observations via laptop during field months.
6. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
7. Ability to work effectively both independently and with others.
8. Ability to organize and plan work effectively.
9. Commitment to providing exceptional public service.
Must register with the TDLR, pass TDLR background check, and have attained or be working toward a TDLR Appraiser License/Certification. Position requires use of personal vehicle. A valid Texas driver’s license with proof of liability insurance is mandatory with a verified acceptable driving record.
Physical and Mental Abilities: Must have sufficient mobility to visit property sites that may feature rough terrain and to work outdoors in unfavorable weather conditions. Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time with ability to reach, bend and move up/down on steps. Must be able to lift up to 50 pound file boxes. The position requires considerable concentration, creativity and ability to manage time effectively. It is subject to stress caused by a changing public environment, mandatory deadlines and heavy workload. Requires the ability to operate office equipment and communicate on the telephone and face to face. Requires the ability to ask questions that will bring forth the information needed to make sound decisions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Harris County Appraisal District is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.