Becknell Industrial is seeking a Senior Project Engineer for our office in La Grange, IL (Chicago). Successful candidate will work under the direct supervision of a PE, but please note, Becknell Industrial is not a professional design firm.
Candidate will perform pre-development and entitlement related tasks to support industrial facility developments. Project related tasks will include coordinating and analyzing site due diligence, site planning (including grading and utility layouts), cost estimating, and schedule preparation/management to name a few. Candidates will act as an interface between local consultants, local municipalities and Becknell Industrial.
Project Engineer personnel have varying degrees of responsibilities. Our engineers provide support to and work with all levels of staff from project managers, architects, construction supervisors, construction administrators, asset management, business development and upper management. Project Engineers are expected to maintain a positive and effective work environment both internally and while working with all our external consultants. The following is a summary of the various responsibilities of the position.
- Perform site development due diligence as follows:
- Property survey review of Plats, ALTA, Boundary & Topo, etc.
- Review Title documents and coordinate with ALTA Survey & legal team
- Zoning, Drainage & Building code review and applicability.
- Permit process and fee schedule outlines.
- Utility availability verification.
- Mapping soils, FEMA, wetlands, zoning for impacts.
- Geotechnical report coordination and analysis.
- Environmental coordination, phase 1, wetlands, wildlife and plants.
- Traffic Study, Impact Analysis and improvement needs.
- Prepare schematic site plans and lease exhibits.
- Prepare quantity takeoffs to inform project estimates – including but not limited to, conceptual grading plans, utility plans, earthwork analysis & off-site infrastructure improvements.
- Find, contract and manage site consultants (survey, geotech, environmental, traffic civil and landscape) for acquisitions and site development.
- Coordinate with staff Architects, MEP & Fire consultants to establish efficient and cost-effective building and site utility design.
- Coordinate with design team & consultants to obtain all permits for site development, including all jurisdictional permits, subdivision plats, lot splits, etc.
- Provide ongoing construction support as needed, including pre-con, site progress and city meetings.
- Process shop drawings for review & approval internally, with consultants and reviewing authorities.
- Manage and monitor site development permit requirements for project close-out including Engineering As-Builts and As-Built ALTA/NSPS surveys for project in a timely manner.
- Travel is expected to be minimal, up to 25%.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Candidates with a B.S. in Civil Engineering (PE is preferred) or Construction Engineering are preferred.
- Require 8-10+ years in commercial or industrial site development preparation, permitting, and construction coordination involving most or all of the responsibilities noted above.
- Strong Communication: in person, e-mail, phone, reports, memos, etc.
- Strong Organization: multiple tasks for multiple jobs in various stages of pre-development, permitting and construction.
- Familiarity with and understanding of Real Estate Documents, including:
- Title Work, ALTA/NSPS Surveys, Plats, Covenants, Easements, etc.
- Project Specifications, Exhibits, RFPs & RFIs
- Local, State and Federal Ordinances and Codes
- Permit submittals, legal agreements, easement and ROW dedications
- Specific experience and competence with:
- Online code database research
- Local jurisdiction website navigation for codes, apps, fees, etc.
- Autodesk AutoCAD & Civil 3D
- ArcGIS Mapping
- Drainage Software – HydroCAD, WinTR-55, Bentley programs, Hydraflow or similar.
- Excavation & Grading Takeoff Software and/or concepts
- Adobe Acrobat or similar PDF Programs (Bluebeam a plus)
- Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
- Microsoft Project for schedules
- Google Earth Pro for property review and exhibits
Job Type: Full-Time
Reports To: VP Engineering & EVP Design and Construction
Coordinates With: Project Managers, Superintendents, Asset Managers.
Manages: Consultants, Subcontractors and Assistant Project Engineers
Becknell Industrial is a rapidly-growing, privately-held, national real-estate development firm focusing exclusively on the design, development, management and long-term ownership of industrial buildings, including distribution centers, warehouses, processing and assembly plants, manufacturing plants, research and development centers, service centers and other facilities vital to the global supply chain management of regional, national and multi-national operations.
Becknell’s national portfolio includes more than 25 million square feet of industrial real estate property.
At the core of Becknell’s superior delivery system is our design-build construction capabilities, through a vertically-integrated approach drawing on the knowledge, skills and experience of our diverse team of professionals, including real estate, architects, engineers, construction managers, and accountants.
Respond with MS Word or PDF Cover letter and resume only
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Construction Experience: 8 years (Required)
- AutoCAD: 1 year (Required)
- ArcGIS: 1 year (Required)
Company's Facebook page: