The IBM i Developer provides for the planning and execution of enterprise level product development. The projects will conform to Information Technology standards for IT Infrastructure and Software Development and implementation. The IBM i Developer will ensure their products and artifacts are in no way disparate or lacking in content and usability.
The IBM i Developer may work independently or lead other developers. The IBM i Developer will comply with the standard system development lifecycle methodology and concepts for design, programming, backup, and recovery to deliver solutions that have superior quality, performance, and integrity with the final product providing maximum value to the company.
The IBM i Developer has a positive attitude where all things are possible. The IBM i Developer thrives and supports an environment of innovation and creativity for their team.
Strategy & Planning
- Stay abreast of new technologies and techniques and make recommendations to the team.
- Ensure that Applications projects meet business requirements and goals, fulfill end-user requirements and identify and resolve system issues.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Be prepared and able to provide support for applications.
- Formally transition application documentation and support information to the operations team before having source moved to production.
- Work within a source management environment.
- Coach and mentor team members and provide performance information to your manager as needed or requested.
- Recommend training, so skill sets are proficient in the use of application development languages, tools, and utilities.
- Communicate the status of your projects.
- Comply with the governance of software development processes and metrics for measuring and improving overall performance.
- Develop Level of Effort estimates and estimated dates of delivery for application projects.
- Assist manager with research on potential application technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
- Liaise with network and technical management to assist in identifying and resolving system issues.
- Ensure system issues affecting the work of business units are escalated and processed until resolved.
Formal Education & Certification
- Prefer a four-year college diploma or university degree in computer systems design or computer science. Seven years equivalent work experience and appropriate technical training will be considered.
- Applicable certifications are a plus.
Knowledge & Experience
- Should have at least five years of progressively responsible experience in application systems development with strong leadership and design capabilities.
- Proven experience in the delivery of quality application development projects.
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management in a multi-development platform environment.
- Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving business problems.
- Ability to research application development issues and products.
- Provide transparent communication on progress, issues, risks and opportunities, and metrics.
- Career concentration in business application development and application system architecture, maintenance, and support of such. Experience with application architecture on an enterprise scale is a plus.
- Proficient in using structured systems development methods, approaches, techniques, and tools. The processes should be simple, seamless to support, with an emphasis on clean, code which is defect free.
- Must have a thorough understanding of work management setup, monitoring, and adjustments. Must have a good understanding of the impact of application and database processing to the IBM I and replication systems, like Mimix.
- Specialized knowledge needed for the performance of the Job:
- Hardware: IBM Power System
- Operating Systems – IBM i, Windows
- Development Environments – RDI (Visual Studio, and Profound UI are pluses.)
- Languages: PHP or Node.js, RPG Free, and SQL
- Databases: DB2, SQL
- Zend Framework, Zend Server, and Zend Studio are pluses.
- Database, application and green screen modernization experience is a plus.
- Experience with onboarding new acquisitions and data transformation techniques is a plus.
- Prefer experience with development of service programs.
- Should be able to understand and prepare technical specifications, unit test plans, and process flows.
- Will have proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite of products including PowerPoint, Project, and Visio.
- Prior use of source management software is a plus.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conceptualize innovative solutions to problems and requests.
- Above average customer service and conflict management skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to communicate vision and ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Must have the keen attention to detail.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Extremely organized with a strong sense of priority, urgency, and commitment to deadlines.
- Capable of quickly, and easily adjusting to changing priorities with a positive attitude.
- 7X24 On-Call on a rotational basis
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
- Some travel may be required.
Job Type: Full-time