OVERVIEW OF VULCAN MATERIALS COMPANY
Vulcan Materials Company is the nation’s largest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer of aggregates-based construction materials including asphalt and ready-mixed concrete. We run our business with great discipline and integrity.
At Vulcan, our people share a competitive drive for excellence, in an environment of trust, teamwork, positive reinforcement, open-mindedness and communication.
Ours is a culture of mutual respect, integrity and committed spirit. Opportunity, community and unity is our way of doing business. We call it The Vulcan Way.
Primary responsibility is to provide technical leadership and functional guidance to plant management and staff in Company facilities in the area of Safety & Health. Educate and coach operations personnel at multiple field locations on safety and health procedures to include hazard recognition, risk assessment, industrial health programs, and federal, state, and local regulations and audit compliance. Assist the Manager of Safety and Health in developing and implementing safety, health, and risk management processes for the area. This position will involve travel throughout the assigned area and Division.
- Responsible for the administration of Division and Company Safety and Health Programs and Policies.
- Conduct MSHA and OSHA compliance inspections and Company audits. Serve as a liaison between regulatory agencies and operations management. Interpret and applies MSHA and OSHA regulations;
- Develop and deliver various Safety & Health training programs.
- Execute the Industrial Hygiene/Occupational Health program which includes anticipation, recognition, evaluation and control of recognized health hazards in our business lines and facilitates annual/periodic occupational health testing.
- Conduct and document accident/incident investigations utilizing Root Cause analysis. Provide recommendations for loss/injury prevention.
- Educate and coach for safe behaviors
- Educate operations personnel on Emergency Response Planning
- Keep abreast of all existing and proposed changes in occupational health and safety regulations.
- Keep Safety & Health Department management informed of activities, projects, issues
- Represent the Company in industry associations and participates in Company S&H Committees, special projects, as assigned.
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
- Must be able to sit for long periods.
- Must be able to use computerized equipment and technology.
- Daily operation of a motorized vehicle is necessary.
- Use of telephone, computers, cell phones and other electronic devices is essential.
- Must be able to use various and highly sophisticated computerized devices.
- Outside setting will expose employee to changes in temperature/humidity and will require walking on uneven and/or elevated surfaces. May be required to climb steps, walk at elevated heights, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, crawl or reach above shoulders to accomplish functions of job.
- This position requires knowledge and awareness of mining and construction site hazards. Will be required to use protective gear and to take other precautions when in or near a facility or construction site.
- Ability to work in a very stressful, deadline oriented environment that requires complex, technical information and decision making.
- Must be able to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Must have a strong analytical orientation with the ability to apply analytical concepts to complex business problems.
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of employees throughout the organization.
- Comfortable and effective communicator in front of large groups.
- Overnight travel as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Organizational Development or a related field is preferred.
- CSP or CMSP desired.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience, preferably in the mining/aggregates industry in either surface or underground operations
- Knowledge in methods of prevention of incidents, occupational injuries, illnesses, and property loss
- Solid experience with MSHA and/or OSHA safety and health regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of MSHA/OSHA safety and health regulations, inspection, compliance, enforcement and administrative procedures
- Knowledge of mining, asphalt, ready mix concrete and/or landfill operations is preferred.
- Ability to work with, and through, operations managers, plant managers, supervisors and employees to achieve program and performance goals, objectives and compliance status
- Knowledge of adult learning principles and passion to educate others
- Strong facilitation skills
- Must be able to manage time effectively with minimal supervision
- Excellent project goal planning skills
- Root Cause Analysis experience
- Demonstrated experience in effective application of Loss Control principles
- Strong computer skills to include MS Office, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate at all levels of the organization
- Must be comfortable in speaking up in a constructive manner to discuss/resolve problems, issues, or differences of opinion
- Must be able to drive a motorized vehicle
- Must be motivated, team oriented and dedicated to the discipline
- Vulcan Materials Company offers a competitive compensation program and benefits package including: medical/dental/vision, paid holidays and vacations, life insurance, 401(k) with match and flexible spending accounts.
Vulcan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex (including pregnancy), color, religion, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age over 40, disability including AIDS or genetics, protected veterans status, marital status, cancer-related medical condition, or any other characteristics protected by law from discrimination.
Job Type: Full-time
- Safety: 4 years (Preferred)
- Mining: 3 years (Preferred)
- MSHA: 3 years (Preferred)