Reporting to the AVP for Accounting and Treasury Management, in collaboration with CPE management, the Associate Director of CPE Financial Operations is responsible for coordinating the overall budget and financial administration of CPE operations (non-credit and training grants). This includes business planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and successfully implementing and managing all financial functions of CPE. This position will work closely with all NJIT finance departments, including General Accounting, Budget, Payroll, Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Risk Management, and Research Office to support the financial operations of the CPE. The incumbent will monitor the administration of budgets from all funding sources (i.e., unrestricted, designated, restricted, and grants). The incumbent will insure that all financial activity is in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), federal and state regulations, granting agencies requirements (CFR), and in accordance with university policies. Furthermore, the incumbent has the responsibility to maintain and provide accurate budget and financial reports to CPE management and the CFO’s Office on a timely basis.
- In collaboration with the Associate VP and Executive Director for CPE, assist in developing short and long-term business plans for all CPE activities. Business plans will be assessed and reported on periodically to measure the success of current strategies. • Requires the ability to clearly demonstrate business and financial terms with non-finance end users. • Assists the Executive Director for CPE in managing key aspects of the financial affairs of CPE including, but not limited to preparation of materials needed to: o Coordinate the implementation of all grant contracts between CPE, Research Office, Budget and General Accounting o Generate CPE internal budget and financial management reporting, including monthly budget updates, recording and tracking receivables, and invoicing clients. o Analyze and project CPE cash flows and reporting variances to management o Coordinate all year-end external and management financial statement reporting in collaboration with General Accounting o Provide NJIT‘s external auditors with the documentation and support they need to perform their annual audit of the fiscal year financial statements o Review and assess proposed CPE business opportunities and present the results to management o Collaborate with CPE management in developing short and long range business plans and financial projections
o Ensure that all revenue projection variances from current and prior years are thoroughly analyzed and explained to management o Providing recommendations to management to address any significant revenue or expenditure variances not accounted for in current budget • Exercises independent judgment and applies accounting concepts, theories, practices, regulations and principles to all grant/development activities to achieve successfully funded research programs • Participates in the development and implementation of institutional direction and strategic objectives, including the development of operating policies and procedures for organizational business operations to ensure objectives are achieved • Interprets policies and standards set by the NJIT Boards of Trustees and State and Federal agencies • Ensures GASB, Federal and State tax, and uniform guidance rules and regulations are adhered to during the course of CPE’s business activities
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
1. Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, providing management with clear and concise routine feedback. 2. Excellent oral and written communication skills. 3. Honesty and integrity above reproach, setting an example of professional and ethical propriety. 4. Accomplishment aptitude, demonstrating problem solving initiative and focusing at both the macro and micro level. 5. Mature initiative, demonstrating commitment to objective(s), and adaptability to environmental venues necessary to the success of NJII. 6. Analytical acumen and tenacity necessary to match capacity and functionality of the system(s) with policy and practice components that are benchmarked to delivery of the associated programs. 7. Continual learning capacity that is broad and acute. 8. Strong creative problem solving skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as be an effective solution oriented contributor. 9. Strong supervisory skills with the ability to coach and mentor support staff
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting or related field. • A minimum of 7 years of experience in a finance or accounting related field. • Strong presentation and communication skills for the purposes of explaining financial issues to non-finance end-users. • Advanced knowledge of the use of spreadsheets, database software, query and report writing tools.
- Higher Education Experience • Master's Degree in Finance or Accounting • Experience with Ellucian’s Banner ERP software