- Time Management
Local Plant Nursery looking to hire a Full-Time, salaried position averaging 40-45 hours per week. During our peak spring shipping season, when we are shipping very heavily, additional hours will be required and the work week will extend up to 7 days a week. Compensation for this position will be determined based on the applicant’s experience and skill level and there will be a 90-day trial/training period. The applicant will be working directly with the Shipping Manager, shipping crew team leaders & members, growers and members of the sales team.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with overseeing and supervising the entire shipping process, ensuring that only the highest quality plants are sent out.
- Oversee and monitor the quality of the plant material being contract grown off site.
- Assist and oversee the procurement of high quality plants needed by the sales team for weekly orders during shipping season.
- Actively seek out and implement new methods and materials to improve the shipping process.
- Work with Sales Team and Growing Department to produce daily shipping sheets.
- Assist in creating weekly shipping plans and schedules to support shipping goals.
- Assist in supervising employees in the Shipping Department, ensuring that all work is appropriately prioritized and completed in a timely manner.
- Assist in training and supervising Shipping Department employees according to Railroad Nursery, Inc. standards and policies, as well as communicating safety procedures and practices to the staff.
- Maintain Shipping Department standard operating procedures, ensuring that all employees understand and follow the procedures.
- Develop strategies to improve overall effectiveness in shipping, growing, etc.
- Identify potential issues that may impact shipping and communicate those issues, with possible solutions, to the appropriate personnel.
- Be willing to work outside, in a greenhouse and/or shipping warehouse in all types of weather.
- Be willing to perform or assist with all shipping and production jobs when necessary or requested.
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned
Specific Skills & Qualifications Necessary
- College degree preferred and/or 2-3 years of growing/shipping experience
- Ability to speak, read and write English and Bi-lingual in Spanish
- Supervisory and managerial skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and organized with excellent time management skills
- Able to adapt in a quick and positive manner
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple tasks and requests
- High level of safety awareness
- Flexibility and ability to pitch in when and where needed
- Ability to work as a team member, striving for individual as well as team success
- Shipping Experience/Knowledge
- Growing Experience/Knowledge
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and work in a warehouse environment with varying temperatures
- Applicant will be working outside, in a greenhouse and/or shipping environment- expect a dusty or dirty work environment
- This position will be required to work extended hours, weekends and holidays as needed
Job Type: Full-time
- growing/shipping: 2 years (Preferred)
- English & Spanish (Preferred)