The California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) is seeking to hire a student assistant to work under the general direction of the Information Technology Supervisor II, in the Office of Information Technology (IT). The student assistant will work in a learning capacity performing support of IT systems and administrative-related duties resulting in experience and training in the computer science and business administration fields. The student assistant will provide customer service to IT employees to ensure that qualification needs for employment and training are met.
Conditions of Employment
This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefited, student position. Employment in all positions with University Enterprises, Inc. is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises, Inc. and the employee. This means that either University Enterprises, Inc. or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
Depending on the type of position you are applying for, a pre-employment background check consisting of one or more of the following may be conducted: employment history, professional references, criminal check, educational verification (i.e., degree, license, or official transcript) and physical exam and drug urinalysis test. Applicants will be required to pass required pre-employment checks to the satisfaction of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) and the hiring Agency or Department.
Flexible hours, Monday through Friday, between 8:00am and 5:00pm. Final work schedule to be determined between supervisor and student.
Additional Work Schedule
Student Assistants and Graduate Student Assistants generally work up to 20 hours per work week (Sunday-Saturday) during the academic year and up to 40 hours per work week during breaks; (Winter, Spring and Summer). Another work schedule option for students working off campus through the California Intern Network is to work 28 hours per week, year-round.
Area Northern California
On/Off Sacramento State Campus Off Campus
Worksite City Marysville
Pay Range $13.06 - $20.14 per hour
Department/Agency California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS)
Unit/Division PC/Customer Support-Infrastructure Management Division Marysville
Caltrans manages more than 50,000 miles of California’s highway and freeway lanes, provides inter-city rail services, permits more than 400 public-use airports and special-use hospital heliports, and works with local agencies. Caltrans carries out its mission of providing a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California’s economy and livability, with six primary programs: Aeronautics, Highway Transportation, Mass Transportation, Transportation Planning, Administration and the Equipment Service Center.
To learn more please visit www.dot.ca.gov.
Majors/Fields of Study Computer Information Systems, Computer Science and Engineering
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite.
- Understanding of Computer Science/Engineering, software development, SDLC, project scoping, planning, designing and implementing IT systems.
- Understands the concepts of hardware, software and telecommunications and networking.
- Ability to work alone or as a team, providing system software solutions.
- Ability to program (code) in one of the languages such as; Python , C++, C#, JAVA, SPRING, PHP, XML, HTML, MS Share Point and SQL.
- Ability in scripting in Unix, Linux, and Python and MS Server environments.
- Knowledge of Web based technology, .NET and asp.NET frameworks, Tableau and Crystal Reports.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Service Busses (ESB), using XML as base language.
- Ability to use Rapid Development software engineering platforms to create software solutions for the Department.
- Ability to provide detailed and accurate project plans using MS Outlook, Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, Visio.
- Ability to follow directions both written and oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
Must be a college student attending classes during the regular term (Fall, Spring and Winter, if applicable), at one of the accredited colleges or universities on our affiliation list.
To view our current affiliation list please paste the following URL into your browser: http://www.calinterns.org/wp-content/uploads/Affiliation_List.pdf
Students must be enrolled at a minimum in:
six semester units or nine quarter units for undergraduate students; four semester units or six quarter units for graduate students.
Students declared major must match the major(s) listed in the job posting.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of American with Disabilities Act (ADA) web accessibility guidance/standards and assistive technology devices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- May provide customer service to IT management and employees, performing a variety of functions. Typical duties may include the following programming and technical and framework skills; JAVA, SPRING, PHP, Python, XML, HTML, MS Share Point, C++, C#, SQL, .NET frameworks, scripting in Unix, Linux, MS 2008, and 2012 server.
- Assist in responding to Tier 1 helpdesk issues.
- Assist with observing network, server operations, and interact with customers to resolve a wide range of issues that are requested.
- May be required to assess customer needs and help create solutions that meet Departmental and customer needs using current standards such as: Tableau, Crystal reports, and custom designed reporting tools specified by the technology solution adopted.
- Written correspondence and internal project documentation will include use of MS Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project, SQL DB diagnostic tools, various software debugging tools/utilities, load testing, and code repository storage solutions such as Subversion.
- Will assist IT employees with computer users throughout the District for problems associated with workstations, software applications, local area networking, printing peripherals, including the resolution of software installation requests, updating software records, and interacting with customers to resolve a wide range of issues and requests.
- Will assist in compiling report data, including software and hardware inventory.
- Will assist in performing system software upgrades. Review procedure manuals for accuracy and completeness.
- Will assist with imaging, deployment of new workstations, peripheral equipment, including helping customers migrate data as necessary.
- Will assist with various IT Support projects.
- Will assist with copying and filing as necessary.
- Will Deployment, desktop support, service desk projects and update customer information in the HEAT Call Logging System.
- Install hardware for desktop computers, laptops, monitors, printers, tablets, scanners, and digital senders.
- Image and deploy hardware using imaging equipment and install software needed.
- Assist with help desk tickets in the tracking and resolution database for deployments and for surveying of end-of-life IT equipment.
Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computer workstations, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers, scanners, and fax machines, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Work is performed in an office environment.
Hours Per Week Students (part-time) 0-20 hours per week during the academic year, up to 40 hours per week during breaks; (Winter, Spring and Summer). (NSTU)
Posting Date 06/21/2019
Closing Date 08/02/2019
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please complete all fields of the employment application. Include your educational history in the “Educational Experience” section and any employment history in the “Employment Experience” section of our application.