Starwood Property Trust (NYSE:
STWD), an affiliate of global private investment firm Starwood Capital Group, is the largest commercial mortgage real estate investment trust in the United States. The Company’s core business focuses on originating, acquiring, financing and managing commercial mortgage loans and other commercial real estate debt and equity investments. Through its subsidiary LNR Partners, Starwood Property Trust also operates as the largest commercial mortgage special servicer in the United States. With total capital deployed since inception of over $33 billion, Starwood Property Trust continues to solidify its position as one of the premier real estate finance companies in the country.
The Rotational Analyst position is a full-time commercial real estate and structured finance employment opportunity at Starwood Property Trust (“SPT”) offices in Miami Beach, FL, within its Real Estate Investing and Servicing (“REIS”) and Starwood Mortgage Capital (“SMC”) business lines. Analysts will gain experience in multiple aspects of SPT’s business as they rotate through a variety of potential departments outlined below.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
REIS – is the longest-running investor in CMBS and CMBS Special Servicing with the following departments:
- Surveillance – Analysts will work on ad hoc projects for senior management such as analyzing upcoming maturing loan portfolio and overall portfolio statistics. Analysts will be assigned a portfolio of deals for which they will be responsible for monitoring performance, analyzing potential credit issues, and responding to inquiries from investors and rating agencies. Analysts will hone their underwriting skills while evaluating new CMBS deals on the market.
- Credit- Analysts will be reviewing and monitoring the performance of CMBS and whole-loan transactions where SPT has invested its capital. Analysts will also provide support to the Acquisitions team, who analyze and invest in CMBS, sub-performing whole-loan pools and other CRE debt products.
- Loan Asset Management – Analysts will provide support to Loan Asset Managers in pursuing resolutions for defaulted loans including negotiating potential loan workouts, or evaluating other asset dispositions. Analysts will review loan documents, prepare underwriting analyses of the underlying collateral and participate in calls with local market experts, outside counsel and borrowers.
- Borrower Services - Analysts will review and provide recommendations on performing loans related to commercial leasing, property management changes and loan assumptions involving the sale of the collateral property.
Real Estate Asset Management – Analysts will provide support to Real Estate Asset Managers including analytical support for the management, lease-up and ultimate disposition of foreclosed properties. Responsibilities include researching market conditions, reviewing leasing opportunities, making site visits, overseeing property level-management and ultimately assisting with the sale of the property.
- Real Estate Investing – Analysts will support the effort to develop debt and equity investment opportunities arising for our servicing activities, monitor and maintain the opportunity pipeline, and underwrite qualified investment opportunities.
- Capital Markets - Analysts will assist and support in the growth and development of our trading platform.
SMC - is one of the nation’s leading commercial real estate lenders, specializing in originating commercial real estate-backed loans ranging from $5MM to $100MM for CMBS transactions.
Education and Experience:
- Loan Origination – Analysts will learn to identify and underwrite potential lending opportunities. In addition, Analysts are responsible for providing support to management in the analysis of originating commercial real estate mortgage loans.
Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and 0-2 years of relevant work experience.
An interest in commercial real estate and a willingness to relocate to Miami, FL are important hiring considerations.
Proficiency in MS Excel, and experience with Argus and CoStar are helpful.