The Education Program at River Run Academy Susan Wayne Center of Excellence offers a therapeutic school program, focused on academic, pre-vocational and vocational instruction for adolescent girls and boys who are cognitively, emotionally, and behaviorally disabled and who cannot be served in alternative settings. Located in Thompson, CT, we are seeking applicants for an exciting career in special education. Teachers are vital to our mission at River Run - they provide care, support, education, and guidance to our students every day. Our students present with unique learning needs and challenging mental health issues, and our teachers work in collaboration with a highly trained body of staff members to provide cutting-edge, trauma-informed interventions.
If you have limited experience with this population, please still consider applying. We provide a vast amount of training, including at orientation, in supervision, and on the job.
We provide individualized instruction to meet each student’s unique educational needs, and do not exceed an eight to one student-teacher ratio. In addition, teachers' assistants are present in all classrooms to provide assistance.
We provide an academic curriculum which adheres to the CT Common Core State Standards. In addition, students learn pre-vocational and vocational, as well as life and health skills. Students attend classes for a regular academic year. In addition, a 7-week ESY- Extended School Year is available.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, patient, and have an understanding of utilizing and applying the Connecticut Common Core State Standards for students in grades 6 through 12. Experience working with adolescents in an alternative school setting or treatment program is preferred but not required.
JRI offers unparalleled benefits - Blue Cross health insurance, Delta Dental (free to you), 401K, 7 weeks paid vacation, 11 paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and a pension plan, among others.
- Minimum of Masters degree and Connecticut State Certification as a Special Educator preferred OR a four-year college or university degree, with major course work in Education and enrollment in a Masters level Special Education program to be waivered by Connecticut State Department of Education (DSAP). (*if you are not sure if you meet this requirement, please reach out and we will discuss).
- Knowledge of special education curriculum development and I.E.P. goals/objectives (support will be provided)
- Experience working with adolescents in a general education or special education environment (special education preferred)
- Excellent verbal de-escalation skills, communication skills, and ability to be an independent worker (training provided)
- Knowledge of Special Education teacher requirements in CT
- Background Check: Acceptable driving record check, Nationwide Alpha background check, State of CT criminal background check using fingerprints and DCF background check.
- Maintains valid driver’s license or can demonstrate access to reliable transportation.
- Ability to intervene in a crisis situation, with training
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical examination
Candidates should send resume to:
Shelley J. Boure, M. Ed., 6th Year Ed. Admin.
Director of Education- Susan Wayne Center of Excellence
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,000.00 to $55,000.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Signing bonus
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Relocation assistance
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply