Banner Health believes leadership matters, and we look for people who share our vision of making health care easier, so life can be better
. Our leaders are at the forefront of health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
In the role of Coding Senior Director you will provide leadership and expertise in the development, implementation, oversight and evaluation of Coding and Coding Education for the organization. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with the Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) team, the Physician Practice Coding team and other key stakeholders in identifying opportunities for continuous improvement. In this role you will direct, supervise and evaluate a large team of leaders and staff and work together to achieve performance plans and targets. Your role as a subject matter expert with a proven track record as an Executive leader is having the strategic vision, thoughtful leadership and driving innovation as we transform; requiring the ability to lead, execute and influence.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. This opportunity is also eligible for our Management Incentive Program, as part of your Total Rewards package. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
About Banner Health Corporate
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
About Banner Health
Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
This position is responsible for driving and supporting designated business entity health management coding programs and processes, with focus on quality of outcomes and superior service. This position promotes a collaborative, open, and inclusive work environment within a highly matrixed organization and provides direction to senior leadership on matters related to designated business entity health information management coding functions, services and systems.
- Guides the development and implementation of short and long-range goals and objectives for the designated business entitys coding and abstracting programs. Provides leadership and expertise in the development, implementation, oversight, and evaluation of coding/data abstraction programs for the system. Incorporates best practices and responds to emerging trends to enhance operations, programs, and/or services. Implements and evaluates strategic programs, develops effective tools to measure performance, analyzes related data, prepares reports, and makes recommendations to senior leadership based on findings.
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates the work of staff and managers. Holds staff accountable for achieving plans and performance targets. Works with staff to identify and resolve the most complex issues and problems impacting health management coding operations. Supports development and continued professional growth to meet company and individual goals for long-term success. Demonstrates an expectation for continuous quality improvement utilizing processes that include consideration of all stakeholders.
- Builds and supports effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders and organizations. Develops partnerships, coordinates activities, reviews work, exchanges information, and/or resolves problems related to coding and abstraction programs and/or services.
- Directs and participates in the development, implementation, and consistent application of effective organizational policies, procedures, and practices. Develops and supports internal controls to ensure that assets are safeguarded, policies and operating procedures are followed, necessary controls are effective and efficient, and compliance with current laws and regulations is achieved.
- Develops and oversees the department budget to meet corporate goals and objectives. Meets annual budgetary goals. Translates organizational plans, goals, and initiatives into assumptions for annual operating and/or capital budgets. Negotiates contracts with external vendors for products and/or services and monitors/evaluates quality and/or performance. Manages and reports expenditures.
- Communicates the department vision, translating it into actionable projects and activities. Maximizes management staffs contributions and assures timely decision-making reflecting the mission, vision, and values of the system.
- Reviews, prepares, analyzes, and presents reports and recommendations to senior leadership regarding operations, programs, services, and/or other applicable areas of interest in order to provide concise and accurate information that aids in decision-making.
- May lead or facilitate task forces, teams, and/or councils to plan, implement and coordinate coding related programs, services, and/or educational opportunities for the organization.
Expert-level working knowledge of principles, practices, and operations in assigned area of responsibility as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelors Degree in a relevant field and a minimum of five years of progressively responsible managerial experience in designated facility, business entity or area, including a minimum of two years management level experience within a major health care organization, health system setting, or large multi-operational corporate environment in complex industries similar to healthcare.
Depending upon assigned area of responsibility, position may require applicable certifications and/or licensures, including but not limited to: RN; MD or DO; Drivers License; Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA); Certified Protection Professional (CPP); Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU); Associate in Risk Management (ARM); CPA; SPHR; Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA); Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT); Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM); Certified Facility Manager (CFM); Certified Coding Specialist (CCS); Certified Professional Coder (CPC); JD from an American Bar Association accredited school; admission to a State Bar Association.
Must demonstrate expert-level knowledge and awareness of area of expertise in designated facility, business entity or area. Experience working in an integrated delivery system, multi-hospital system, or managed care organization in a management level position in assigned area of responsibility. Proven track record of driving successful performance outcomes and accomplishing organizational goals. Experience anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers. Experience managing a budget. Strong financial and business acumen. Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting methodologies. Able to analyze and interpret data. Skilled in building partnerships with management, staff, and stakeholders to achieve department goals and objectives; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; developing strong, enduring, and trusting relationships; fostering the development of cohesive teams; persuading others to adopt a particular stance on an issue; developing and evaluating best practices and emerging trends for organizational applicability and appropriateness; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching staff by providing open and honest feedback to enhance performance; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that support organizational success; effectively allocating available resources; utilizing data and information to make informed and appropriate decisions; negotiating win-win scenarios with internal customers and/or outside vendors/partners; developing collaborative relationships with internal and/or external strategic partners and/or other applicable parties. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential. Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.