As an On Call Nurse, you will be responsible for responding to patient/family phone calls and making visits as indicated during off hours of the weekday and weekend (4:30 pm to 8:30am Monday thru Thursday; Friday 4:30pm to Monday 8:30am). You would respond to the needs of Hospice patients, patients with catheters and other patients requiring 24-hour availability. The On Call Nurse may also need to make unplanned but medically necessary skilled visits to established patients when needed, or unplanned admissions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a college or university accredited by the National League for Nursing is preferred or Graduation from an accredited school of nursing
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of New Jersey or has license pending as indicated by a permission to work letter from the New Jersey State Board of Nursing
- Current New Jersey Drivers’ License
- A minimum of two years’ experience in Home Care or Hospice Nursing
- I.V. certification is required
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill in current nursing practice
- Knowledge of hospice philosophy and practice
- Excellent communication and judgment skills to enhance telephone triage
- Phlebotomy certification is preferred
- Basic computer skills
- Promote and maintain health of individuals, families and the community through teaching, counseling and appropriate preventative and rehabilitative measures
- Demonstrate, teach and supervise care to patients and families
- Respond to all calls within a maximum timeframe of 15 minutes
- Participate in On-Call Holiday coverage and weekend coverage
- Consult about individual or family health problems with the Administrative Call Nurse, and other professionals, such as physicians, dieticians, social workers and therapists
- Promote continuity of patient care by planning and exchanging information with physicians and other health and social agencies
- Participate on Hospice Team and in other team meetings, including presentation of cases, as needed
The VNA of Somerset Hills offers competitive compensation, interdisciplinary teamwork and a supportive work environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.