Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience - both on and off the playground - we want you to put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children's physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,000 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1 million students directly and through professional training services. Our strategic goal is to ensure that 3.5 million children in 7,000 schools experience safe and healthy play every day by December 2020. For more information please visit our website: www.playworks.org ( http://www.playworks.org ).
Playworks Interns are provided the opportunity for practical application and skills development in a professional setting. In the Greater Washington DC office, our AIM is to reach 57 schools and 26,000 students by the year 2020. As the DC office is in growth mode, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to make a difference and be directly involved with critical projects as well as an exciting team.
Here is where you come in:
As a Playworks Intern, you will apply your expertise and learned theories to support Playworks of Greater Washington DC. You will develop and expand public relations, press releases, media database, and to help plan, promote and attend events. This intern will be working with the development team. In your role as a Public Relations and Event Intern, it is expected that you will support the following areas:
- Build and engage media list - coordinate with National campaigns
- Identify editorial and speaking opportunities
- Co-create and design speech outlines and Powerpoint decks
- Write and edit press releases – storytelling!
- Co-research and support annual appeal and individual donor campaigns
- Manage and scan for school and national Playworks outlets press coverage (social media and mainstream press outlets)
- Flag and report on current industry trends and tools
- In coordination with social media intern, administering social media handles
- Co-create and support annual appeal and individual donor campaigns and all events
- Coordinate and execute on events such as corporate recess, school beautification projects, Board driven networking and cultivation events and major sports league projects
- Coordinate and execute on partnership events
- Recruit and track volunteers and alumni - develop active database
- Attend special events and assist with day-of-event coordination
Are you wondering if we are a good fit? You might wonder what Playworks is known for, whether you have the qualifications necessary and interning with us can give you the skills you need? Playworks has been creating safe and healthy play for over 20 years by partnering with school districts all over the U.S. as captured in our story HERE ( https://youtu.be/F5BVhJIK5eA ).
Skills you will adopt as an intern here:
- Interest and/or experience in designing and executing on PR communication plans
- Experience planning and executing events with volunteers
- Passion for play, urban education, youth development, play and non-profits
- Self-motivated, team oriented and reliable. Don't have to be asked twice or reminded about a project
- Highly organized and has the capacity to manage multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication and editing skills
- Flexible and openly seeks advice and best practices
- Comfortable with people and possible school visits
- Familiarity with Google Drive applications and/or Salesforce preferred but not required
- Ability to project a professional and positive image of Playworks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities
Compensation, Location and Schedule:
- Learn how play can impact sustainable change in youth
- Learn the fundamentals (or expand your current knowledge) of non-profit program creation and management
- Learn from and directly participate in a fast-growing organization
- Expand your knowledge and connections in public relations and event management
- Contribute to public awareness of social service and youth development issues
- Have a program mentor to guide you and teach you the playworks culture
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Apply learned skills in a professional and supported environment
- Gather valuable feedback to support employment and personal growth
- Network with professionals in Playworks departments, corporate, foundation, government and non-profit communities
- Have fun and work with an energized and impassioned team!
This highly competitive fall internship is 15-20 hours per week and is unpaid. We are accepting currently enrolled students with degrees in education, health and/or management as of their sophomore year. Graduate students welcome. Interns will spend time in the office and will utilize public transportation or their own cars to visit schools around the city. The office is currently located at 1411 K Street NW, Suite 601, Washington, DC 20005 and in the field.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.