The Staff Accountant position is a critical position within the accounting department. In accordance with GAAP, the Staff Accountant is responsible for the accurate and timely completion of an assigned portion of the general ledger closing from beginning to end. Closing from end to end includes but it not limited to: the preparation of journal entries, complex account reconciliations, and financial statement preparation and reporting. The ideal candidate must have knowledge and experience performing complex monthly account reconciliations; JE preparation and GL postings; accrual preparation and input, and financial statement preparations for multiple entities and states.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the integrity of the general ledger and sub ledger through preparing, verifying and controlling the input of journal entries in the ERP system.
- Prepares monthly financial reports and understands how major transactions of the business are reflected in the statements.
- Performs complex reconciliations of accounting and financial records and systems.
- Applies advanced accounting skills to maintain, communicate and disclose information in accordance with corporate standards, GAAP and department objectives.
- Helps identify issues and assists in the analysis, resolution and communication of solutions.
- Interacts with peers, management, outside vendors, etc, to enable and implement complex accounting system features and processes in accordance with GAAP.
- Responsible for compiling complex analyses and reports for department management and other business partners with little direction.
- Prepares proper documentation and records to ensure a concise audit trail
- Monitors the system of internal accounting controls to insure the safeguarding of company assets and compliance with company policies and procedures. Recommends corrective action.
- Compiles ad-hoc reports for management as requested
- Supports Accounting Management in preparation of reports and schedules related to annual audit and other periodic audits.
- Works with and provides assistance to business units, business partners and customers with financial analyses of results, departmental budgets, accounting related research projects, program analysis and project support.
- May be assigned analysis in support of organization’s annual budget process, expense/service fee/staffing forecasts, or statistical reporting.
- May prepare month end accruals
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- 3 years experience in Accounting and GL including journal entries, and financial Statement analysis
Other Position Requirements
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures (GAAP)
- Demonstrated analysis, research and accounting resolution skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet software
- Ability to maintain flexible attitude and approach towards assignments and successfly operate under ambiguous guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both in written & verbal formats
- Strong data entry and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and establish priorities
- Demonstrated ability to maintain organization in a changing environment
- Working knowledge of word processing applications
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision
- Working experience with large ERP software application
- Big 4 CPA firm experience
Data Privacy and Security:
- All Sirius employees are responsible to safeguard the information and information systems that they use or handle in the execution of their duties. Employees are obligated to know and perform their duties in accordance with Sirius policies, standards, and procedures related to security and report security violations to the appropriate Sirius authority.
- Participate at hire and annually in the Information Security Awareness training as well as other required training identified by the Human Resources department. Other data privacy and data security related regulatory training may be required based on your role or assignment.
The above primary duties, responsibilities, and position requirements are not all inclusive.
Sirius is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. As a government contractor, Sirius takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans; maintains a drug-free workplace; and participates in E-Verify.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 3 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)
- General Ledger: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply