Commercial Fishing Factory Workers (Processors) work aboard commercial/at-sea processing vessels in the Bering Sea, Pacific Ocean, Gulf of Alaska and Aleutian Islands.
Working onboard an at sea processing vessel is physically and mentally challenging. The environment is wet and cold and the shifts are long. The job requires physical endurance, repetitive lifting, agility, prolonged periods of standing, teamwork and self-discipline. Crew members make a contractual commitment to being at sea for extended periods of time, leaving family and friends at home.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Convert raw product being fished into a frozen-at-sea, marketable product ready for sale
- Sort fish by species, size and condition
- Tend and operate machinery
- Inspect product to ensure it meets Glacier Fish Company quality standards
- Package, weigh and label product
- Place product into freezers
- Operate and clean factory equipment
- Participate in offload of frozen product at end of trip
- Load and unload other supplies on the vessel
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Must have at least 6 months - 1 year of recent experience working in a physically demanding position. Individuals with experience working in manufacturing, production, construction, logging, oil fields, agriculture or the commercial seafood industry preferred.
- Work 16 hours per day, 7 days a week in all kinds of weather conditions
- 65 day contract
- Understand instructions and safety rules in English
- Board and exit vessel without assistance by climbing up and down a gangway or Jacob's ladder
- Capable of climbing and descending steep stairs and vertical ladders
- Perform repetitive tasks for long periods of time
- Be away from medical attention for up to 3 months
- Repeatedly lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Share spaces with others including crew quarters, dining areas and bathrooms
- Free Room and Board
- Eligible for 401K after 1 year
- Health/Dental benefits once eligibility requirements are met
- Crew Percentage Based
- Flights to/from Dutch Harbor from point of hire (Seattle) paid upon completion of contract terms
- Option to extend contract up to 90 days
- $1500 sign on paid upon completion of 1st contract; $500 upon return and completion of 2nd contract.
North Star Fishing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $3,500.00 - $5,000.00 per month
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
All crew required to quarantine and text for COVID prior to traveling to Alaska.
- Are you able to lift 50 pounds on a consistent basis?
- Labor or Manufacturing: 1 year (Preferred)