SURFACE SHIELDS, INC.
Job Title: Customer Service Representative
FLSA Status: Non - Exempt
Reports To: Customer Service Manager
Position Summary: Primarily responsible for providing superior customer service for all internal and external Surface Shields’ customers. Success will be achieved by applying excellent communication, a progressive approach to order (A-Z) ownership and the utilization of in-depth knowledge of company products, services, policies and procedures. The number one priority is to deliver superior customer service to our customers to support and enhance our quality brand.
- Point of contact for customer orders, inquiries, complaints and compliments
- Provide first call resolution using documentation management procedures
- Process customer sales orders, backorders and pick tickets timely and accurately
- Build, strengthen and maintain positive business relationships by establishing rapport with customers
- Work and perform effectively in a metric monitoring environment to ensure positive results that support departmental and company goals
- Proactively communicate quoted pricing, terms and freight minimums to increase customer awareness and increase order volume
- Make logistics and freight decisions based on cost and available inventory and determine appropriate outside warehouse to process orders
- Utilize required document control procedures to provide first call resolution when addressing customer’s issues and inquiries
- Use required phone greetings and professional presence over the phone
- Perform mandatory quality check on all orders to insure order accuracy and excellence
- Process customer returns according to established department policies and procedures
- First point of contact to refer customers to accounting to resolve credit issues
- Address customer issues and ensure effective and long-term problem resolution
- Perform courtesy calls to ensure previous requests and/or problems were resolved satisfactorily
- Provide timely feedback to the company regarding service failures or customer concerns
- Maintain customer account information and communicate to other departments, as needed
- Perform special projects and other related duties as assigned
- Display a professional image in all settings and willing to assist and support new ways to deliver excellent customer service.
- Be agile and receptive to ongoing changes based on the demands of our customers, business and industry
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Prior Customer service experience at least 2 years
- Intermediate computer proficiency in MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS Excel
- Accounting Software MAS 90 or SAGE 100 and Salesforce or other CRM system experience
- Positive attitude towards change and growth that supports B2B best business practices
- Excellent interpersonal, hospitality and communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong customer orientation
- Time management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Sense of urgency for problem resolution
- Must be able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Customer service experience in a manufacturing or wholesale environment
- Customer service experience with an independent sales team
- Ability to make recommendations and implement process improvements
- Strong team player
- Commitment to company values
- High school diploma or GED
Reporting to this Position: No direct reports
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for extended periods of time; an occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The travel required for this position is minimal.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed basic office conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. The performance of this position may occasional require exposure to the manufacturing areas where under certain areas require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
What is Surface Shields?
Surface Shields is the leader and industry innovator in custom coating and converting pressure sensitive films for carpet and hard surfaces. We also specialize in dust containment and adhesive tapes. Our high quality products have enabled us to become the number one provider of temporary surface protection products to the Flooring, Paint, Building, Abatement, RV, Moving, Automotive and Hardware markets.
Surface Shields is an employee owned subsidiary of The Garland Company.
The Garland Company, Inc. is one of the worldwide leaders of quality, high-performance roofing and building envelope solutions for the commercial, industrial and institutional markets. For over 100 years, Garland has continually developed unique product and service offerings that have raised the bar of performance while exceeding the individual needs of customers throughout the world. Today, our network of over 200 local building envelope professionals is ideally positioned throughout the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom to provide quality building envelope solutions for single and multi-property facilities. The Garland Company Inc., headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company.
Job Type: Full-time
- Customer Service: 2 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Orland Park, IL (Preferred)