Morningstar’s Software Division is responsible for all of our software products and services for institutions, advisors, and individuals. Our main products include Morningstar Direct, a global research platform for institutions; Morningstar Advisor Workstation, a research and investment planning software platform for financial advisors; and Morningstar.com, an investment website with research, data, and tools for individual investors.
In this role, you will lead the development of data collection solutions at Morningstar. An ideal candidate would be a self-starter who gets technology as an art, understands business goals and creates scalable, flexible technical solutions. The candidate would be fully responsible for delivery and ensuring modern software development practices are being applied with rigor. They would motivate the team and cultivate a culture of high energy and technical excellence. Establishing a good support infrastructure to handle production issues and being responsive to customer problems is essential to the role. Exposure & contribution to open source solutions are a big plus. This position is based in Chicago.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Manage teams in multiple geographic locations and own overall delivery.
- Motivate team and create a strong culture of engineering excellence.
- Mentor team and manage organizational issues including performance calibration and salary reviews.
- Collaborate with local & global teams for both technical and non-technical issues like project management and requirements management.
- Enforce practices like test driven development, CI & test automation.
- Analyze & remediate production issues and build in fault tolerance & operational readiness into the system architecture.
- Act as the software guardian owning non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and quality of code. Address technical debt.
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience.
- Managed a team of 10-15 people.
- Strong leadership capabilities & excellent communication skills.
- Proficiency with Agile Methodologies.
- Experience in object oriented analysis and design, coding and implementation in Java and AWS
- Proven database modeling and SQL skills in performance tuning and creating efficient stored procedures and functions
- Experience in operations and managing live production applications, monitoring, remediation and incident management.
- Experience in a data-oriented environment and knowledge of data streaming.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity