Job Posting End Date:
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
We are looking for a highly experienced Sr. Business Analyst who will lead the business analysis practice on a software development team in the Benefits BDH organization. This position requires the Sr Business Analyst to have extensive experience in the insurance industry with a focus on benefits, claims/leave management and policy administration. The Sr. Business Analyst in this role will also have experience working with enterprise software vendors. This position will be key in implementing a new vendor developed system into the existing system environment at UNUM. Sr. Business Analysts are responsible for ensuring the delivery of the defined business objectives within the agile team. They participate in the advancement of business solutions across a business portfolio by working closely with IT Leadership, Product Owners, Business SME’s and Business Architects. The Sr. Business Analyst plays a critical role in mentoring Business Analysts of all levels to ensure we are growing future talent within the agile teams. They will serve as a subject matter expert and have a deep understanding of the Unum business model – both the products we sell and the services model we employ - and will bring forward areas where investment will bring benefit to our customers and the company.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, and task/process/workflow analysis selecting the appropriate means of representing the business requirement and ensuring traceability back to source.
- Collaborates with the Business Architect, Product Owner, agile team and relevant subject matter experts to define concise and effective user stories from the capabilities roadmap also detailing precise and accurate acceptance criteria. This includes functional and non-functional requirements
- Collaborates with Business & Technical Architects to evaluate the business suitability of applications/solutions in support of the capabilities roadmap
- Evaluates native functionality from third party/cloud solutions and identifies opportunities to meet business needs
- Responsible for the investigation and application of changes to program scope. Identifies the impact on business requirements of external impacts affecting a program or project.
- Mentors Business Analyst I’s and Business Analyst II’s to ensure appropriate business analyst standards and practices are met, where appropriate
- Responsible for assessing requests for change and their impacts on existing applications/solutions in the business portfolio and ensuring the changes are prioritized and assessed for risk appropriately.
- Collaborates with the agile team to ensure appropriate acceptance criteria is defined and met by participating in all test activities where necessary to ensure successful feature delivery.
- May lead configurations of third party/cloud solutions including page layouts, workflows, reporting and dashboards
- Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery
- Participates in retrospectives to ensure the agile team continuously improves and ensures that value stream mapping is completed in order to remove waste in the process
- Collaborates with Chief Product Owner and Product Owner on prioritization and grooming of the capability backlog
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- Ensures that the latest project progress is known to the agile team by ensuring Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools are up to date and participating in daily stand-ups outlining progress made, progress planned and detailing impediments
- Identifies data source, gathers and analyzes data relevant to processes identified for process improvement initiatives.
Strong business and technical abilities, able to define business processes and identify associated data in claim/leave and policy administration systems.
Knowledgeable of BPM workflow systems and the understanding, through experience, of how workflows are designed and configured.
Extensive knowledge of insurance systems and how they interact with each other. Understanding of system integration and the techniques used for integration.
Experienced with the software development process and Agile methodologies in a corporate environment.
Ability to define business requirements and to translate those into high level test scenarios to ensure that there are no gaps. Will be able to participate in testing efforts when needed to deliver initiatives.
Database SQL development skills are a plus.
Agile team coaching experience a plus.
SAFe experience a plus.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.