Job title: Program Associate
Start date: Fall 2018
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: New York City
The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) is seeking a full-time Program Associate for its Global Designing Cities Initiative (GDCI), a program of NACTO that aims to inspire a shift toward safe, sustainable, and healthy cities by reclaiming and transforming streets. We’re looking for candidates with a passion for great cities, an interest in international development and a background in urban planning, urban design, transport planning, engineering, or architecture. The position will go through the end of 2019, with potential for extension depending on program funding.
Who we are
The National Association of City Transportation Officials(NACTO) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit association that represents large cities on transportation issues of local, regional and national significance. The Global Designing Cities Initiative(GDCI), is a program of NACTO. Launched in 2014, GDCI’s mission is to inspire a shift toward safe, sustainable, and healthy cities through transforming streets. GDCI’s work is informed by the strategies and international best practice captured in the Global Street Design Guide.
What you’ll do
The Program Associate will support the team’s road safety and sustainable mobility work, including helping to develop supplemental publications to the Global Street Design Guide. In this role, the Associate will help to conduct research, develop case studies, and generate drawings for publications. In addition, the Associate will support the team’s work in select international cites. Some assistance coordinating meetings and other administrative tasks will also be required. For this position, NACTO-GDCI is looking for an individual with strong written and visual communication skills, including demonstrated proficiency with AutoCAD and the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator).
The associate with be responsible for the following:
- Technical drawings: Support the team in conceptual and technical design development and drawings using AutoCAD, SketchUp, or other 2D or 3D software.
- Graphic design: Generate diagrams, charts, infographics and other visual content for GDCI publications and other materials. Support GDCI staff to layout publications and documents using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Research: Research and draft content for GDCI supplemental publications and conduct research to support Program Managers in providing direct technical assistance to international cities.
- Other tasks: Other research, design, and administrative tasks as assigned.
Who you are
The GDCI Program Associate must be highly self-directed and comfortable working with and taking direction from colleagues who are frequently travelling. Additionally, the Associate should be:
- A strong verbal and visual communicator: Able to clearly communicate and synthesize ideas and to represent designs and concepts visually. Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator) as well as 2D and 3D software (AutoCAD, SketchUp) with a strong graphic sensibility and an eye for detail.
- Collaborative: Able to work iteratively, collecting feedback from colleagues and incorporating it into their work. The ideal candidate will be flexible and willing to pitch-in to take on tasks whenever help is needed.
- Organized and able to deliver on time: Able to juggle multiple projects, stay organized, and meet deadlines. Must be able to communicate with teammates to clarify project scope and provide updates on progress, when needed.
- Passionate about urban planning and design: Applicants should have one+ years of past experience in the fields of city planning, urban design, engineering, architecture, or transportation planning. Background knowledge in road safety, public health, and/or sustainable mobility as well as familiarity with the GSDG a plus.
How to apply
- Deadline for applications: Applications accepted on a rolling basis—please don’t delay! Final deadline is September 15th
- Email applications to: global at nacto.org
- Email subject line: Program Associate | Your Firstname_Lastname
- Attachments: Include a short cover letter, resume, and relevant work samples demonstrating your skills in Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Sketchup, and/or other similar programs. You may also include relevant photography, hand drawings, presentations, or written work. The ideal portfolio will include samples that relate to GDCI’s work, with a focus on streets, public space, sustainable transportation, and people interacting with the built environment.
- Send compiled materials in one PDF file with a maximum size of 25MB.
- Please be sure to include an explanation of your work samples (context, client/audience, brief project description, etc.), noting your specific contributions if it was a group effort.
- Review the GSDG for ideas on the type of graphic skills we’re looking for.
- Applications submitted without work samples will not be reviewed or considered.
- Work visas: We encourage international candidates to apply and are willing to support visas.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!
NACTO is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a passionate working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time