Perform functions to prepare accurate and timely monthly financial statements for the Finance & Accounting division, guided by precedent and working within the limits of established policies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Prepare and deliver financial statements for designated accounts following the quality standards as instructed by Management. Verify correctness of information prior to submission.
2. Prepare Balance Sheet reconciliations and supporting schedules. Analyze the Balance Sheet and Income Statement accounts for accuracy.
3. Prepare and post journal entries to the General Ledger. Review periodic reports of general ledger accounts to ensure accuracy and correct errors prior to close of accounting period.
4. Review and analyze transactions from Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payable to ensure they have been accurately coded and recorded. Identify, investigate, resolve and/or report on discrepancies.
5. Research, analyze, identify and explain any variances or unexplained items on the Income Statement and changes on the Balance Sheet.
6. Reconcile Cash to Liability for Security Deposits, Reserves and Special Assessments.
7. Prepare the Financial Statement package and submit for review to the Assistant Controller.
8. Maintain strong documentation standards and audit trails to support all transactions.
9. Identify opportunities to streamline processes to ensure accuracy and timeliness and makes recommendations to supervisor.
10. Support the department and organization through answering inquiries and researching and solving issues with internal and external customers. Prepare any range of spreadsheets, presentations and special reports.
11. May provide guidance, direction and input to lower level Accountants.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
1. Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
2. Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for additional material and supplies.
3. May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
4. Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
5. Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
6. Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
No supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university; and a minimum of three to five years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and related experience. CPA certification preferred. Prior experience in the field of property management, real estate and/or residential management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
- Excellent organization, planning, motivation and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking, complex problem solving, judgment and decision making ability.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a strong work ethic and be detail-oriented with excellent organizational and multitasking skills.
- Must have strong proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Proficiency researching the Internet.
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work with sensitive or confidential information.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently and be self-driven
Tools & Equipment Used
Computer and peripherals, standard and customized software applications and tools, and usual office equipment.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
This position works under usual office conditions. The employee is required to work at a personal computer as well as be on the phone for extended periods of time. Must be able to stand, sit and walk. The incumbent must be able to work extended and flexible hours and weekends as needed. Physical demands include ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves no or minimal travel.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.