- An M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent degree. Candidates with BS considered with experience in predictive modeling, data science, machine learning, or user and entity behavior analytic development.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in endpoint and application security and network security solutions such as web application firewalls, IDS/IPS, SIEM, DLP, DDOS mitigation or development of analytics to support this class of solutions
- At least 2 years of experience with standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
- A minimum of 3 years experience introducing automation and operating within a fast paced prototyping environment
Excited by using massive amounts of data to create sophisticated security analytics? Does pushing the envelope with user and entity behavior analytics (UEBA) including developing statistical, stochastic and machine learning models for security excite you? Want to help the largest global enterprises operate safely in the cloud and securely derive business value at an unprecedented scale? Your work will create the technical means that enables Amazon to grow rapidly yet securely.
This is an opportunity to operate in a truly groundbreaking manner given the sheer scale, breadth, and fast pace of the AWS environment. Data scientists work backward from the threats, creating new and innovative ways to detect, assess and react to potential malicious activity.
We are hiring technical specialists at the convergence of the four hottest areas in tech: Data Science, Security, Software Development and Cloud Services. Worried that you do not have hands-on experience in all four areas? We are looking for solid base and expertise in two areas - you will grow expertise in the remaining areas to round out your background in all four key areas. You will work directly with the biggest internal and external Amazon customers – leveraging data and analytics to create innovative ways to work securely in the cloud.
Your job is distilling meaningful insights from large volumes of data, as a vehicle for creating security analytics to address the constantly evolving threat and attack space from sophisticated adversaries. This role will give you an opportunity to use and grow a broad range of skills in data science, analytic development, and information security – all using and creating cloud services in large scale computing environments. Considering the scale and the magnitude of the technical challenge, this role is a great opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to an extremely important area. Operating in the cloud at our scale enables activities that have never before been possible, providing new advantages and opportunities for innovative work.
A reactive security model in not acceptable, instead you will enhance real-time proactive and preemptive systems using data driven techniques. The analytic techniques are applied at each stage from detection to response mitigation. This job will challenge the candidate to dive deep into the extreme data world and understand the unique challenges in operating this platform at a scale unrivaled in the industry. Our scale provides unique opportunities that simply don’t exist elsewhere, but these opportunities can only be revealed by a scientific thinker with a curious mind.
While listed as located in IAD21, this position/team is expected to move to Baltimore, MD as soon as that location is available.
- A post graduate degree in a scientific field is preferred but successful development and deployment of security analytics count. The right candidate has a background in probability and statistics, applied mathematics, or computational science and a history of solving difficult problems using a scientific approach.
- Experience with analytic development for endpoint and network security
- Experience with one or more cloud services
- Analytic development - streaming and a Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, Spark, etc.)
- Analytic development - SQL, NoSQL, graph-based, Key/Value stores, document stores, Python and/or R
- Experience applying machine learning to real-world production systems, analytic development based on SparkML and other ML libraries such as scikit-learn, caret, mlr, MLlib
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age