Who Are We?
Avison Young is a fast-growing, privately-held, international commercial real estate services firm that is owned and operated by its principals and provides value-added, client-centric real estate brokerage, property management, project and construction management, investment management, debt financing and advisory services to owners and occupiers of office, retail, industrial, hospitality and multi-family properties.
Avison Young was formed by the amalgamation of several independent Canadian firms in 2008. In 2009, Avison Young opened its first U.S. office and now has more than 5,000 real estate professionals and more than 124 offices located in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany and Mexico.
For more information, go to:
The Legal Department
Avison Young’s legal department currently consists of five attorneys, a U.K. company secretary and two legal assistants/paralegals, who support the Company’s business functions across its global offices.
Avison Young is seeking to fill one of its legal assistant/paralegal positions, to support the management of Avison Young’s legal affairs and the effective delivery of legal services to the company.
Avison Young is seeking a paralegal with experience handling a broad range of legal matters. The legal assistant will provide support and assistance to the company’s attorneys. The legal assistant’s duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation and review of contracts, agreements and other documents, including commercial agreements and employment-related agreements
- Assistance with preparation of materials for board and management meetings, including resolutions
- Maintenance of corporate record books and equity ownership records
- Preparation and review of corporate maintenance and compliance filings
- Management of relationship with the company’s registered agent service providers
- Organization and maintenance of transaction records and files
- Tracking, processing and analyzing bills from, and expenditures for, outside legal service providers
- Assistance with due diligence activities and investigations, including in connection with M&A transactions and employment-related matters
- Conducting legal research as it relates to licensing, regulatory and other legal issues
- Assistance with and coordination of document production and information gathering
- Tracking and monitoring deadlines and key dates for certain actions
- Coordination of activities with other staff functions and business operations
- Coordination of activities with outside counsel and opposing counsel
- Providing administrative support to the company’s attorneys
Candidates should have:
- Demonstrated experience as a legal assistant or paralegal providing substantive legal support and non-substantive administrative support
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills and ability to work collaboratively with people at all levels within the company and people outside of the company
- Ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) clearly, concisely and timely
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple matters in a fast paced, high-energy environment while meeting deadlines
- Willingness to learn and take-on unfamiliar tasks
- Demonstrated ability to continuously improve processes
- Experience working in an in-house, corporate legal function
- Experience with corporate/commercial/transactional legal matters
- Experience with litigation/claims matters
The successful candidate will report to Nicole White, Principal and Legal Counsel. On a project by project and/or assignment by assignment basis, the successful candidate will take direction from and work closely with each of the company’s attorneys.
The position will be based in Avison Young’s Chicago, Illinois office.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Our Equal Opportunity Commitment
Avison Young practices as an equal opportunity employer in all services locations around the world. We are committed to building and maintaining a workforce diverse in experience, skills and knowledge with uniformity in service excellence, commitment and integrity.
The firm maintains a strict policy to ensure employment opportunities are equal and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, protected veteran or military service status, or any other elements protected by law.
For those requiring assistance with disabilities, Information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Avison Young is committed to employing the best talent with the most fair and equitable recruitment practices. Apply with us TODAY!
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.