Kiva is the world's first and largest crowdfunding platform for social good. We run an online marketplace (www.kiva.org) for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to expand financial access at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: "Loans that change lives."
Our mission is to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7+ million borrowers in over 80 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Portland, New York City, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Internship Program ( http://www.kiva.org/internvolunteers/internprogram )
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva's foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you'll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Through this volunteer internship, we're hoping to provide a high caliber learning experience. With the completion of our internship program, you will take away many in-demand job skills. Additionally, all Kiva interns will gain exposure to foundational microfinance concepts and ongoing professional development tailored to your career goals. This position will also put you in contact with a wide array of employees around the world, giving you a jump start on networking opportunities.
Kiva Internships are 6-month, part-time (24 to 32 hours per week), volunteer positions. This position is located in our Portland, OR office.
Placement Process ( http://www.kiva.org/internvolunteers/internprogram/apply )
Kiva places interns within most departments of the organization. During recruitment, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a "can do" attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty.
Kiva is currently recruiting for our January through July 2020 Internship Class.
Kiva's Marketing and Communications team oversees messaging with current and future lenders. Our job is to collect content from the field, package that in a compelling way, and distribute it to external audiences to ultimately get them excited about the work we're doing. We use a variety of channels to reach lenders, including email, advertising, social media, PR, influencers, and our website.
As an intern, you will work to develop Kiva's brand voice with our brand agency. This involves shaping our social media strategy with our evolved brand voice. You will use social media, influencers, and emerging technologies to help position our brand based on our new business goals.
- Run day-to-day community management in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram and other emerging media sites
- Design, write, edit and proofread material with a consistent voice across all social channels
- Work cross-functionally to create visual assets, working in tandem with design, content, public relations, fellows, interns, human resources, and leadership teams.
- Work in tandem with partnerships team to create, deploy, and ensure campaign executions
- Partner with global marketing communications functions (creative, media, Consumer Engagement), as well as web, public relations, events, retail and global product marketing teams to support business goals. ( http://www.kiva.org/internvolunteers/internprogram )
- At least 21 years of age or older by January 22nd, 2020
- Able to commit full-time for 6-month term
- Experience handling digital and social media creative and copy
- Degree in digital comms, advertising, new/emerging media, sociology, or psychology
- Some experience working with Adobe CS and a desire to learn more: illustrator, indesign, lightroom. Nice to have: photoshop, after effects, premiere
- Experience (or a desire to learn) shaping a brand strategy; passion for storytelling is a must
- Desire to learn about reporting, analytics, and extracting insights from data
- Professional development and skills workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva's network of Kiva Fellowship and Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and occasional baked goods
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
Kiva's Internship is a volunteer position, however, to help offset transportation and other expenses, Kiva will provide a modest stipend of $800 a month (before taxes) to its volunteers. Please note that the stipend is considered taxable income and we expect interns to do their own research as to how this may affect their personal/tax implications.
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is 24 to 32 hours per week, from January 22nd, 2020 to July 31st, 2020. Please make sure you have the availability to commit for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!