Will provide limited contributions for developing strategy and implementing plans and targets for assigned product group or channel of business. Will assist in organizing and controlling assigned product line(s) from conceptual stages through product life cycles to optimize profit and meet marketing, financial, and corporate growth objectives by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
1. Providing limited contributions to the business strategy to move business ahead and achieve high level objectives/metrics; demonstrates an understanding of brand strategy and the competitive landscape in which the brand operates, including key competitors, general market conditions such as milk pricing, the dynamic retail environment, etc. This would include “real time” understanding of what is driving our products and category trends in the market place.
2. Develops annual marketing plans with significant input from direct supervisor that build the brand in the long run and achieve targeted operating results as specified in the current year budget; works collaboratively with key inter-dependences to construct this plan: Sales, Trade Marketing, direct supervisor, and senior management; actively monitors and adjusts plans as needed during the operating cycle to assure that business results are met; develops best practices and continuously refines these.
3. Is still in the learning stages of understanding the marketing mix due to short time in grade and lack of perspective on best practices to achieve business results; pricing: monitors the market and proactively sets optimal price points, recommending pricing action as needed; promotions: works effectively and collaboratively with the Agency of Record (AOR) to develop and execute impactful advertising and promotions to achieve results and continuously improve best practices: distribution: works with Sales and Trade Marketing to set appropriate distribution goals particularly with new products that require slotting; product: maintains an appropriate and optimal product range in terms of number of SKUs, sizes, etc., assuring that the mix is profitable and competitive in the market; monitors all plans and programs to determine ROI and effectiveness in delivering results.
4. Is an equal, highly active member of the Strategic Business Unit (SBU) Team reporting directly to the SBU Marketing Manager. Mutually proactive and supporting behavior is expected to be standard operating procedure for all team members.
5. Works closely with Sales and Trade Marketing to provide accurate budgets and forecasts pertaining to volume and mix; will have limited ability to comment on upside and downside to volumes.
6. Contributes to new product strategy development for the assigned business area of product line; may recommend appropriated new product projects, recipe changes, packaging changes, promotions consistent with NPD strategy; will be involved in new product execution with LAG R&D, QA, Purchasing and Manufacturing teams.
7. Contributes to communication strategy, taking significant direction from supervisor, such as brand strategy, copy strategy, etc; effectively briefs the agency in all areas of communications work (i.e.: mass media and in-store advertising, all consumer promotion vehicles, etc.), is in learning stage with respect to managing the agency; does not yet demonstrate full ability to judge creative and manage creative projects.
8. Will be learning about appropriate market research needed to guide new product development, and communications work like: advertising campaigns and other executions involving the expression of the brand positioning and strategy; works closely with but will have limited knowledge of outside suppliers and methodology, and internal Lactalis personnel to set action standards, and will learn how to apply VOC to marketing and business decisions.
9. Executes packaging graphics work and contributes to in-store communications strategy to assure that the brand image is contemporary, consistent with brand strategy, and competitive within the shelf set; works closely and with supervisors direction works with outside agency as required to achieve excellence in product presentation at retail.
10. Executes analytical projects as requested; not usually a key contributor to recommending information systems improvements; expected to demonstrate excellence in syndicated data analysis.
11. Not expected to have full understanding of the business P&L but should be in the learning stages; developing an understanding of how the marketing mix impacts results; not the key player in terms of suggesting gap closure.
12. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Ideally incumbent will possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, MBA preferred.
- One to two years’ experience in a business to Consumer Company.
- Experience in a consumer package good marketing position or food experience, is helpful and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiar with sales reporting systems preferred.
- Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence.
- Candidate needs to possess strong communication and analytical skills; must be able to coordinate a number of activities internally with a variety of departments and functions.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and/or governmental regulations.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions,
percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Needs to have significant computer skills and background.
- Interest in foreign cultures and in food as part of a lifestyle, cheese & butter amateur.