Painted Post, NY, US, 14870
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group): This position is within the Data Driven Modeling organization which utilizes several statistical techniques and analytical methods to support Corning’s Research & Development. The job requires an individual that is exceptionally strong in statistics and/or mathematics yet also possesses a technical aptitude to work with scientists from a variety of technical disciplines. This candidate will be responsible for gathering existing data and/or generating new data to solve technical, business or project related problems. They should have experience with both the capture of data using different tools, management/manipulation of large data and extensive knowledge of a wide variety of data analysis methods. Data analysis tools and methods include, but are not limited to, linear and non-linear regression, design of experiments, sample size calculations, multivariate methods, genetic algorithm, neural network, Gaussian processes and other machine learning techniques. The analytical work will support a range of projects from highly technical problems to commercial applications. This will also involve projects ranging from manufacturing, development and research. It is expected that this person will create predictive tools that will enable both business and technical decisions. The work will often require validation through exhaustive research of prior art relative to the problem at hand.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Travel requirements (please note if international):
- Work alongside scientists and project teams to design experiments to efficiently understand or optimize new systems and processes
- Develop new theories or expand upon existing theories using a combination of data and direction from project leaders
- Research all external and internal information relative to the problems identified by the project team
- Collaborate with existing subject matter experts to solve very difficult problems
- Participate on cross functional teams to develop and test hypotheses related to materials understanding
- Develop models using appropriate methods and software; expanding capabilities as needed
- Communicate results to teams and stake-holders as needed
- Document findings with internal and external publications
Limited travel, likely <10% but that could include international for conferences, et. al.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Normal Business Hours 8:00-5:00 with additional hours occasionally needed for urgent project demands.
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration):
Masters or PHD level graduate in Statistics and/or Mathematics complemented with formal classes in a scientific discipline such as physics, engineering, et al.
- Demonstrated experience and strong technical knowledge in data driven and predictive modeling
- Data Analysis Experience using any mix of software including, but not limited to: JMP, MATLAB, R, Minitab, SAS
- Ability to work effectively on diverse teams
- Ability to collaborate closely with scientific community, business leaders and management
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Statistical Methods including DOE, Hypothesis Testing, Inferential Statistics, ANOVA, Multivariate Analysis, Linear and Non-linear models and Regression Analysis
Desired Skills (these are the skills that would be nice for candidates to possess):
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Familiarity with physics-based modeling for technical fields such as CFD, Heat Transfer or Solid Mechanics.
- Interest in real world applications of Statistical Methods to problems in the sciences and technology.
- Programming Languages (i.e. VBA, C/C++, Java, Python)
- Experience with building more advanced models using Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithm, et al.
- Must be collaborative and able to openly engage with colleagues to achieve project goals
- The ability to translate difficult technical concepts to broader audience
- Self-motivated with an ability to manage one’s own work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively by phone and video with team members in international locations
- Ability to take feedback constructively and use it for personal growth
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Nearest Major Market: