Job Title: Product Engineer – Metals
Location: Wixom, MI
The Sr. Product Engineer will lead the development work, problem resolution and design of new product models of exterior greenhouse moldings utilizing co-extrusion, PVC, EPDM, TPV, Stainless Steel and Aluminum. Though not a supervisory position, the Sr. Product Engineer will provide professional engineering assistance and consultation to other engineers, designers and departments on technical matters.
- Conceives and develops new products to meet objectives of management / customers in accordance with government, customer specifications and awareness of market needs. Discloses these ideas to engineering management, evaluates their feasibility on an assigned basis (models, vehicle installations, etc.)
- Resolve issues, technical problems through application of product knowledge of exterior bright trim, engineering education, knowledge of industry practice and an awareness of new technologies.
- Responsible for supporting all technical base processes including, Project timing, DVP, DFMEA, VA/VE, Benchmarking, APQP, IMDS, Packaging, General tooling and assembly.
- Provides professional engineering assistance & consultation to other departments on technical matters relating to Exterior and Interior components with support to the sales and Cost estimation on assigned basis.
- Organizes technical projects (program requests, cost estimates, program plans, etc.). Evaluates alternatives and initiates activities necessary to meet project objectives within a time and monetary budget. Reports weekly on progress and workload status.
- Directs and coordinates projects, with guidance from supervisor and Lead engineers, from design through production start-up, including prototype build, testing and establishment to specifications to achieve required performance and reliability, manufacturability and market competitiveness. Interprets specifications and provides technical direction to design and tooling teams. Coordinates with other departments for an orderly transition of the project and has first article approval authority.
- Documents technical aspects of assigned projects and ensures that data is properly retained. Visits customers with Sales or Senior Engineering personnel on an assigned basis. Recommends design approaches and solutions to technical problems directly to customers on routine matters and obtains assistance from peers, other departments and engineering management on critical issues.
- Track Open Issues.
- Track program against budget.
- Support gate review process.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or 3-5 years of experience in the field or related area.
Knowledge of materials (plastics and metals) desirable.
Experience in automotive interior and exterior type components with plastic injection, two shot injection, roll forming, stamping and aluminum extrusion. Good understanding of secondary process for chroming, anodizing and Paint is desirable.
Strong technical ability with knowledge of materials and manufacturing and assembly processes.
Tata Technologies is a company dedicated to bringing better products to market for our customers and to the millions of people around the world who benefit from them. We are a leading Global provider of engineering services, serving the world’s leading manufacturing companies. We offer a complete benefits package, including; medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability, FMLA and 401K.
We are currently expanding our Engineering footprint with several of our clients and have opportunities for those who are the best in their field. If you are looking to join a company that values their employees, stands behind their services and strives to make product development dreams a reality, look no further.
Tata Technologies Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, promotions, or any other condition of employment or career development.
Job Type: Full-time
- Materials, Manufacturing and Assembly Processes: 5 years (Required)
- Chroming and Paint: 5 years (Required)
- Product Engineering - Metals: 10 years (Required)
- Plastics Injection Molding: 5 years (Required)
- Automotive Interior / Exterior components: 5 years (Required)
- Stamping and Aluminum Extrusion: 5 years (Required)