ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. United by a passion to serve, our more than 270,000 employees deliver experiences that enrich and nourish the lives of millions of people in 22 countries around the world every day. Aramark is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and the World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Under the direction of the campus Grounds Manager, the Horticulturalist performs duties associated with safely and sustainably designing, renovating and maintaining campus landscapes. Performs related duties as assigned; related duties include, but are not limited to, snow removal and special event support.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the below duties, knowledge, skills and other characteristics). This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not intended to be a fully comprehensive listing.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(which are not in any hierarchical order)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Routinely assists grounds foreman and exercises functional supervision when needed. May involve training other team members, leading non-routine projects, etc...
- Maintains a catalogue of all plantings and pesticides on campus.
- Maintains expertise through continuing education and professional affiliations.
- Analyzes campus landscapes to determine culture needed to maintain and correct problems at the site. This includes recommending plantings and specific placement.
- Uses technology to design new landscape areas and revise existing landscape.
- Coordinates large landscape projects ensuring materials, labor and equipment are available and on-site as scheduled.
- Work with, and supervises, the work of outside contractors to ensure work is performed, as specified, within the contract and pricing terms.
- Recommends, develops, procures and implements fertilizer programs for campus landscapes. Includes identifying & treating plant disease, insect concerns and other maladies that affect plants, grass, trees and shrubs.
- Maintains gardens and plantings by pruning, spraying, fertilizing and cultivating.
- Daily use of technology; including internet browsing, e-mail, landscape design software and utilization of web-based work order/project management system.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in landscape design and maintenance.
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and legalities surrounding urban landscapes.
- Knowledge of theories, practices and principles of Botany, Ornamental Horticulture and/or Entomology; including chemical treatments, irrigation & maintenance.
- Knowledge of supervisory & time management principles and techniques.
- Skill in identifying unsafe conditions and taking corrective action.
- Skill in troubleshooting, assessing problems & determining effective corrective action.
- Skill in communicating effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining professional & effective working relationships.
Work is routinely performed in an outdoor setting with exposure to all weather conditions. Work involves frequent standing, walking, and use of hands and fingers to dig, handle and feel. Periodically there is also the need to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach with hands and arms, and regularly lift objects (up to 50 pounds). Similar requirements may be needed during the workday.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Botany, Ornamental Horticulture, or Entomology and three (3) years of experience as a Horticulturist, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Current certification as a Pesticide Applicator, by the Department of Energy & Environment, and a valid Washington DC, Virginia or Maryland driver’s license.
Aramark is an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran