This position can be based in Denver, CO, Casper, WY, Rapid City, SD or Salt Lake City, UT.
The Director of Health and Safety reports directly to the Vice President Corporate Services and works collaboratively with the HS&E leadership team and operational leaders. This position provides operational leadership to the H&S function and ensures implementation and maintenance of health and safety programs are executed consistently across the organization and its projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The outcomes of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Involve operations to ensure appropriate H&S staffing for the business, both in numbers and skill level/mix.
- Manage performance of H&S staff through goal setting, ongoing assessment, and coaching.
- Builds an environment that supports cooperation and cohesiveness among the work team and with other functional areas within the organization.
- Work with and support operations to achieve planned H&S results and provides technical H&S guidance to employees at all levels.
- Work with field operations and other support staff to ensure efficient and effective integration of Safety, Quality and Productivity (SQP) into business management.
- Apply HS&E and general management expertise to improve effectiveness of HS&E programs and provide guidance to employees.
- Establish a continuous improvement approach to HS&E development – both new programs and effectiveness of existing programs.
- Interpret business issues and nuances and adapts HS&E work priorities.
- Work closely with operations and other HS&E resources on the development and implementation of H&S processes, ensuring they are aligned with company management systems and helping projects achieve industry leading SQP performance.
- Provide direct H&S field support in all lines of business and projects by coaching and supporting project leaders and front line management on their roles and responsibilities within the HS&E program.
- Analyze incident causation and initiate action to address performance issues related to maintaining safe and healthy worksites.
- Balance the development of new or enhanced processes with better execution of existing processes.
- Participate in operations led incident investigations when required. Possesses a high level of expertise in investigation methodology, determining corrective actions and ensuring follow-up. Requirements may dictate the need to lead significant or serious investigations.
- Ensure accurate and timely recordkeeping and document management including reports to regulatory agencies.
- Prepare, maintain, and submit records and reports required by the Company and regulatory agencies including OSHA 300 log and injury records.
- Proactively manage workers compensation claim costs, manage the return-to-work program, and work with insurance providers to reduce claim costs and impact.
- Lead the development, review, and support the implementation of project HSE plans.
- Support business development efforts by preparing and reviewing H&S bid submissions, responding to prequalification questionnaires and attending client meetings.
- Audit H&S processes for application and consistency in the field.
- Assist in the development of a high-impact and metric-based safety management system (leading and lagging) and ensure it is communicated, embraced and managed.
- Participate in corporate wide initiatives, industry associations and external committees to help identify, develop and implement best practices.
- Create an environment that supports cooperation and cohesiveness among the work team and with other functional areas within the organization.
- Facilitate compliance with Transportation Regulations (DOT).
- Preference given to candidates who have successfully completed a Diploma or Degree in the field of Occupational Health, Safety and Environment (HSE).
- 15+ years of experience in an HSE Management/Supervisor role.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or equivalent designations.
- Experience in leadership and managing the work of a team to develop programs and systems.
- Knowledge of powerline and telecommunication work activities is an asset.
- Working knowledge of State/Federal OH&S regulations and application.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
This position requires candidates to:
- Successfully complete pre-employment drug and alcohol testing to obtain clearance for site access.
- Regular travel to various project sites and office locations across all States (50% travel/field)
- Successfully complete background screening and criminal record check
Forbes Bros offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefit package.
Forbes Bros Utility Construction is an equal opportunity employer committed to best practice recruiting and hiring, to promote gender equity and workplace diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates who meet the requirements noted and who earn an invitation to interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- HSE: 10 years (Required)
- Microsoft Office: 5 years (Preferred)
- Certified Safety Professional (Preferred)