The Senior Buyer owns and manages the processes to achieve sales, margin and inventory turnover for given merchandise areas. Responsible for assortment planning, product selection, vendor negotiation, and marketing of assigned merchandise categories. Develop strong vendor partnerships and negotiate effectively with vendors on product costs, terms and shipping/returns issues. Provide strong leadership to execute Shopko’s Merchandise Strategy, develop pricing and marketing strategies, and manage financial plans.
Duties & Responsibilities
Product Selection/Assortment Planning
- Develop and plan seasonally appropriate merchandise assortments and identify key item drivers using the Merchandise Strategy
- Utilize input and direction from Format teams to meet customer expectations through the assortment, marketing, regionalization and localization
- Maintain knowledge of and react to industry and competitor merchandise trends for assigned business areas
- Monitor sales and react accordingly to maximize business trends
- Develop branded and private label merchandising plans that capture fashion trends, determine assortments, control inventory, and utilize advertising and space planning to maximize customer appeal and sales
Financial Planning/Merchandise Pricing
- Achieve financial plans
- Complete accurate forecasts evaluating financial components based on current trends and knowledge of future events which will impact the business
- Set promotional and pricing strategies to achieve sales and margin plans
- Monitor and maintain merchandise promotion performance
- Strategically plan, manage and control merchandise markdowns
Leadership & Relationship Management
- Lead team to achieve sales and margin plans
- Coordinate and provide training to new merchandising teammates regarding Shopko’s merchandise strategy, business planning, marketing and pricing strategies and financial plans
- Provide ongoing development opportunities for team through stretch projects and cross-functional experiences
- Lead, motivate and inspire cross functional teams to achieve category results related to inventory management, marketing, merchandise presentation, space allocation, product development and sourcing
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with format teams to meet customer expectations
- Maintain collaborative partnerships and negotiate effectively with vendors on product costs, terms and shipping/returns issues
- Manage vendor performance to maximize profitability and achieve financial objectives
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business (Retail Merchandising/Management desirable) from a four year college or university or equivalent work experience
- 5-7 years of results oriented corporate buying experience in a multi-store department store chain, big box retailer or specialty retailer
- Sourcing & vendor negotiation skills
- Product development experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Supervisory & management experience
- Strong analytic skills, financial aptitude & business acumen
We provide general merchandise, Pharmacy, and Optical services in our store formats of Shopko, Shopko Hometown, and Shopko Express. At Shopko, we understand what matters to our customers. Our stores are designed to be simple, clean, and welcoming, not overwhelming. We offer the essentials our customers need and the brands they trust at a fair price. Shopko, the Stuff that counts.
Shopko offers a professional team-oriented work environment, career advancement opportunities, competitive wages, and a comprehensive benefits package!
Shopko is an Equal Opportunity Employer functioning under an Affirmative Action Plan m/f/d/v.