The Engineering Technician I works on a team supporting cabling, equipment, and C5ISR system installations. The Engineering Technician I (ETI) performs a variety of tasks to include the fabrication and assembly of various electromechanical and electronic assemblies. This position completes simple routine tasks under close supervision or from detailed procedures. Gathers and maintains specified records of engineering data such as tests, drawings, etc.; performs computations by substituting numbers in specified formulas; plots data and draws simple curves and graphs. Performs simple or routine tasks or tests such as tensile or hardness tests; operates and adjusts simple test equipment; records test data. Performs one or a combination of such typical duties as assembles or installs equipment or parts requiring simple wiring, soldering, or connecting.
Installation experience should include:
- Moving and uncrating of equipment
- Installation of electronic equipment, ducts, cableways, cables, high density cable connectors
- Assembling cable harnesses
- Soldering with low voltage soldering devices and coaxial connectors
- Assembling small mechanical parts per fabrication/assembly drawings
The Engineering Technician I may have to complete an apprenticeship and/or formal training in area of specialty, or military training may apply. Must be familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of electronics repair, fabrication, and installation. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. The ETI receives technical guidance, as required, from supervisor or higher level technician, and work is reviewed for compliance with accepted practices. Applicant may provide some technical guidance to lower level employees.
Work is performed onboard U.S. Naval Ships and military installations requiring the ability to work in areas with drafts, noise, and temperature variation. Must be able to work in high heat spaces, climb shipyard dry dock stairs/ladders, work in kneeling position for layout of cable runs under false decking, lift up to 50 pounds with 80% of work requiring carrying, pushing, and/or pulling up to 40 pounds for majority of shift while being in a standing, crouching, or walking position. Attention to safety critical.
- Position requires High School Diploma or equivalent and 4 years of experience in a related field. -Applicant must be willing to work second or thirds shift as needed. -Applicant must be familiar with NAVSEA, standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of electronics repair, fabrication, and installation. -Applicants also must be willing to work more than 40 hours work weeks. -Applicants must successfully undergo a background investigation. Active secret security clearance desirable. -This position supports a U.S. Government Contract whose terms require Serco to staff it only with U.S. Citizens -Travel may be required. Applicant must be willing to travel to various work sites such as Virginia Beach VA, Bremerton WA, Everett WA, Pearl Harbor HI, Mayport FL & Yokosuka Japan. Mil-Spec multipin, fiber optic connector, and KITCO certification desirable. Also, familiarity and experience working in shipyard environment highly desirable Military Veterans and Spouses encouraged to apply.
Serco Inc. (Serco) is the Americas division of Serco Group, plc, one of the world’s leading and most admired service companies. Serco serves Federal, state and local governments, along with the Canadian government and commercial customers. We help our clients deliver vital services more efficiently, while increasing the satisfaction of their end customers. Headquartered in Reston, VA, Serco has approximately 10,000 employees with an annual revenue of $1 billion and is part of a $6 billion global business that helps transform government and public services around the world. Serco recognizes that our employees are our most valuable asset. Our successes directly relate to our employees. At Serco, we listen, respect and support our employees and through continuous training, development and information-sharing, we advance talent internally, enhancing career growth and progression which enables not only our employees to excel but enables our customers to excel as well. Our employees personally can make a difference. It is not just a job at Serco; at Serco, we offer career opportunities. We invite you to become part of our dynamic team. Serco's people share a passion for delivering ethical service, innovation, and a commitment to results. Our focus on Bringing Service to Life is more than a tagline, it’s the way we get things done, the way we talk with each other, and the way we interact and respect each other. We succeed by encouraging and generating new ideas. We trust our people to deliver. We are passionate about building innovative and successful Serco businesses. Our most powerful tool in improving performance is to instill a stimulating culture where people feel they can personally make a difference. Serco is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce (Race/ Color/ Sex/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/ Religion/ National Origin/ Disability/ Vets).
Systems Design & Engineering
Our services in the Defense business unit support all branches of the U.S. military and the intelligence community. Our teams provide a variety of support services related to the maintenance and life cycle sustainment of US Navy, US Coast Guard and Customs and Border Patrol fielded C5I systems. We are focused on the design, systems engineering, project management, procurement, installation, training, testing, and field maintenance of these systems. We also provide personnel services to military personnel, military families, and civilians working for the military. Our capabilities address a wide range of managed services, as well as the complete military lifecycle which includes recruitment, to active duty through retirement. And for the Intel community we have over 300 cleared professionals who serve a variety of Intelligence Community and Department of Defense customers who stand on the front lines of defense for our nation. The unit employee’s specialists focused on acquisition and program management, systems engineering, cyber security, signals and intelligence analysis, financial management, human capital, and information technology.